Dream Catch Me - Chapter Ten (Joe's P.O.V)

I didn't think I was going to write a chapter in someone else's point of view, but I think now would be okay to do one. This will only be short I think. So enjoy!

-

She was different. I can't be 100 percent sure but it feels like I understand her and can trust her. Must be the cold weather messing with my head. Yeah.. Definitely. That would explain the happiness when I saw her running. It looked like she was free, like she could just fly away. The cold weather could also explain the thumping in my chest when I saw her knees buckle and watched her fall to the rubbery track.

The other students I was subbing for just key standing around and didn't even bat an eyelid at the crumpled and fragile figure on the ground. The boy Fletch, who was in the other one of my geography classes was bent over her, trying to bring her back to consciousness. Unsuccessfully too.

I rushed over dodging the distracted students as I went. How could they not notice? It seemed as time went on people cared less, people were more willing to be bullies, as well as the people who were willing to be victims. Probably like Jane, especially with those bruises I saw that morning in the coffee shop.

I didn't push the subject just in case it was an accident like falling down the stairs, but by the way she treated me afterwards with the cold shoulder and scepticism if my next move I assumed it was worse than 'falling down the stairs'.

The students who had no time for their fellow student were walking back into the gym to shower and change. Meanwhile Fletch and I were bent over Jane trying to bring her back to consciousness.

"Jane? Can you hear me?" I called while shaking her shoulder.

"Jane! Hun! Wake up!" Fletch called, sounding a little distressed. I felt a small tinge in my chest when he called her that. It wouldn't be jealousy right? Of course not, I tried to reassure myself. Fletch and Jane didn't seem like a couple that fit well. Anyway! I thought, bringing myself back to the task at hand.

"Does she eat much?" I asked Fletch.

He looked down at her glasslike figure and replied, "It doesn't look like it, look at the bones in her hands and elbows. Are they meant to stick out like that?" I inspected her hands and elbows. No. They shouldn't be like that.

"The nurse has the day off today, sick or something so.." deciding in that moment I said, "I'll take her to my office during this period make sure she wakes up and eats something."

Fletch nodded and the bell rang out, indicating the start of class. Luckily I could get Jane to my office across campus without any stares, it seemed like the last thing she needed was to become the schools gossip. I bent down the pick her up with help from Fletch and carried her like my bride to my office. When we reached my office I turned to Fletch and told him, "There's not much point sticking around, I'll keep an eye on her and you can go to class, we have practice exams soon, you'll need the class time." he nodded and looked me in the eye, somehow telling me to watch her and take care of her.

He left, leaving me with Jane on my office couch still unconscious and me thinking what I had to do next. Hopefully she would wake up soon, the longer she stayed unconscious the more my worry grew. Naturally as the counsellor I was trained to spot troubled students, but when it came to Jane I saw someone troubled but I was oblivious to it or how 'troubled' she was.

Making the use of my time, I sat down at my desk and started to mark my classes essays from this morning. After about 8 essays in and 30 minutes later she started to stir...