Chapter 1- The Explanation

I guess if I must be honest, it all started when I was younger

I guess if I must be honest, it all started when I was younger. Being abandoned by my mother at the age of seven started it all. I cannot tell you much about her now. Other than she had blond hair, and a memory of her chipped, red painted finger nails, as her hands held several little sea shells to show me. I do not remember her smile, her eyes, her laugh, her voice, her tender touch, or her warm embraces. None of it. She left. Without a word, without a note, without even a goodbye. Not a clue to where she ran off to.

At the age of eighteen my father was gone. The only adult figure in my life. The only man that loved me more than anything else in the word. The one who raised me, who taught me everything there was to teach. He did not abandon me like my mother. He is still alive, I hope, somewhere peaceful. He was a fisherman, and one day while going out to sea, trying to catch some extra fish or set up more traps to earn a little more money, like he usually did, he never came back.

Dad always worked hard, and he knew that the start of Memorial Day weekend was going to be a huge for parties; seafood was going to be in high demands. He never came back that day though. I worried every hour, every day, every week, and months that followed. He never showed up, and there was never any news, or a body. He would have never left on purpose, but losing him placed an enormous hole in my heart.

Then there was Noah. My first love. My first fiancé. My first everything. I had met no other guy- other than my father- as great as Noah. No words could clearly define my overwhelming love for him. Then again, we were two silly teenagers. Thinking we knew everything and nothing could stop us. Noah left too. Six minutes before I was set to walk down the aisle, because power and money bought his soul, so love never lasted.

He was the third person to leave my life. I could not help but wonder why? Why was this always happening to me? Was there something about me that had people fleeing from my life? Each time I only got worse and worse, but Noah's I took the hardest. Do not get me wrong, I locked myself in the house for a whole month when my father was gone. Months had gone by and I would cry every night just thinking about him. Noah Vanderbilt though left a mark on me. He had taken the last piece of my heart with him. He took my trust in men, my security, and my hope.

Years down the road as I dated men, [almost] engaged to be wedded to them, but I left. I left before they could. I could not fully commit to any of them because of the damage people left in my life as the came and went. Only one man changed everything though.

Ethan Kennedy.

-Eight Years Ago-

"Are you ready?" Tori asks, smiling in front of Brielle and holding her bouquet of flowers.

Taking a quick deep breath and tangling her fingers together with a slight painful squeeze, "Just a little nervous." Brielle says in a quiet and shaky voice.