Chapter 1

'Emily, how much longer will you take? We've been waiting quite some time for you.'

'I suppose I still can't convince you to go on without me?' a voice replied from behind the curtains.

'No! Emily, how can you say so! Lady Waverley expressly wished you to come. And Hen- what are you wearing?' Mrs Worthing exclaimed, taken aback as Emily came out from the dressing room, dressednot in her red silk ball dress, but a pair of black breeches and a waist coat laced with elegant furls of silver.

'This, my dear Mary, is my ball wear in which I am going to the ball at the express wish of Lady Maverley.'

'Emily! Women do not dress in these. Why? Where did you get them from?'

Miss Worthing smiled cheekily, saying, 'the dressers, of course.'

'You are not telling me you asked Mrs Banks to deliver breeches for you!'

'Nonsense! I sent Rupeet to purchase a few for me. Honestly, to think Mrs Banks would sell breeches at all.'

'And Rupert bought these for you!' Mary said, aghast.

'Yes, but, please understand-!'

'Where is that man? To think of him accepting, without question, your request to dress in such clothes-'

'But you see, he doesnt know. I told him to buy them so that I may surprise Henry. I guess he never understood my meaning,' she laughed again.

'Goodness, if Henry sees you like this. Emily, my dear, get out of these at once. And when we return from the ball, I order you to burn them.'

'Mary, how could you? These were very expensive, I assure you.'

'And stupid. Em, women simply cannot dress in these.'

'I have observed the liberties one can enjoy just by the wearing of these garments, dear Mary.'

'Well, these liberties are limited to men.'

'Exactly.'

'So, pleas, take those offending clothes off-'

'I only go to the ball in these. You needn't worry. I shall be unrecognizable once I put my wig on and paint my face.'

'Emily, stop being difficult or-'

'Mary, Is Emily ready?' A man's voice was heard, approaching.

Mary almost jumped.

'Henry, dear, she's just- er- coming,' she called.

He had reached the door and was just turning the handle when Mary rushed into Emily pushing her back into the dressing room.

'Please, Emily,' she whispered, pleadingly.

The door swung open. A tall man with dark, hawk- like eyes stood there. He stared critically about the room before turning to his wife.

'Is she?' he asked, eyebrows raised.

Mary tried to laugh carelessly.

'You see,' she began, 'her dress was a little torn so I sent her to change.'

Henry rolled his eyes. 'That girl! Come, Mary, let us sit downstairs. Emily will join us there. We are dreadfully late.'

Fifteen minutes later, Emily walked into the drawing room. She looked exceptionally wonderful in a dress of red silk that bought colour to her pale skin. Her black- brown hair had been fashionably pulled back with a few curls falling on her shoulder.

Mrs Worthing smiled proudly at her sister- in- law. Henry simply cocked an eyebrow, tilting his head towered the clock.

Emily shrugged her shoulders, saying, 'we aren't at all late, dear Henry. It is you who are always eager to be there ridiculously early.'

Sure enough, when the Worthings arrived, the ball was just beginning.