>24< Target

[5:27PM, January 15, UTC +08:00]

"Any news?"

PAULA hoped her tone sounded more concerned than impatient, but Walter barely seemed to care as he collapsed on the bench beside her.

"Nothing yet," he muttered. "He's still in a coma."

"Any word on when he might wake up?"

"They said sometime soon, since they managed to reverse the shock. They're still running tests to see if there's any leftover organ damage."

He sighed and closed his eyes as he leaned back in the chair. Paula turned away, idly looking around the waiting room. It was relatively vacant, and there was an air of tension and trepidation which made the already harshly sterile environment feel even more unwelcoming. Unlike most people, she really wasn't bothered by the hospital smell. It was the weird lime-green wall tiles that made her want to vomit. She heard the doors on her left swing open and hurried footsteps approached them. She had barely turned before a familiar high-pitched voice called out.

"How is he? Is he awake? Did the doctors say anything?"

Walter sighed again and opened his eyes as Victoria stopped in front of him, her face contorted with worry, while the kids moved to sit on the other side of the bench. Augustus and Agnes looked somewhere between tired and hopeful while Linus and Esther had a bit of guilt mixed in with their expression. Paula couldn't understand why; it wasn't like they had done anything to contribute to the situation.

"Well, he's no longer in shock," Walter said, to which Victoria responded with an immediate sigh of relief, "But we don't know when he'll wake up. Hopefully soon."

Victoria motioned for the children to move over so she could sit beside her husband, but Paula got up instead and offered her seat. She could tell this was going to get emotional very soon, and she didn't feel like hanging around or intruding any more on their family time. Victoria gave her a strange uncertain look before taking the seat, and Paula took a few seconds to straighten her clothes before looking at the other woman.

"Sorry, I have to go now," she said, measuring her words carefully. "But please keep me posted. I'm sure he'll make it out okay."

Victoria smiled appreciatively, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. Walter made a move to get up, but Paula motioned for him to remain seated.

"Save the chivalry for later, Waldo," she said, smirking as he scowled at his childhood nickname. "I can make it out by myself. Besides, you look like you're about to drop. Can't risk having them wheel you back in."

He huffed with amusement and settled back in his chair, resting his head back against the wall. Paula tried for what she hoped was an encouraging smile and gave a short wave to the children as she turned around and headed towards the exit.

"Paula?"

She turned. Walter was smiling softly, though his eyes were hooded and tired, and she stared back, wondering what he wanted to say.

"Thank you."

She frowned "For..?"

"For being here. I know it's hard and...I just wanted you to know it means a lot."

"It's the least I could do," she replied. She offered another wave and turned away, making her way out of the HDU waiting room, down the corridors, and towards the glass exit doors. She sucked in a deep breath as soon as she stepped out and blew it out slowly. The warm humid air felt like heaven in her lungs and she felt some of her anxiety slip away as she raised her head to feel the breeze on her face. The sky was tinged with orange as the sun sank towards the horizon, and the clouds formed impressive colourful shapes of blues and pinks and purples. The sight was almost enough to take her mind off the fact that she was in front of a hospital, the one place that formed the backdrop of many of her bad memories.