Twisted Flames

"I don't share," Ryder persisted in a rough voice. Lauren couldn't help but smile at his behaviour which only made Ryder's glare harden.

"That was my flat mate, Chloe. She's a good friend." Lauren reassured him and Ryder visibly relaxed knowing that she was telling him the truth. She kissed him quickly, praying that he wouldn't ask why she was taking to Chloe. When they broke apart Ryder opened his mouth to speak but Lauren cut him to it. "I'm expected at work tomorrow."

Ryder's hand snaked around her waist as they headed back into the house. His dark grey eyes shone with sympathy. 

"You can't go back to your old life Lauren." He told her gently. Lauren nodded her head, it wasn't a surprise. Ryder quickly pulled her to a halt before they reached the back door and guided her face to look up at him. "I'm sorry but it wouldn't be safe. If your connection with me was ever discovered in future, your life would be in danger," Lauren's emerald eyes widened in alarm. "You saw what happened the other day, that planned attack nearly slaughtered all the innocent people that follow me." Ryder trembled with intensity and his gaze seemed to burn her soul. "I can't lose you, Lauren."

Lauren's heart skipped a beat as she took a sharp intake of breath. Ryder cared about her. It was written plainly in his tortured expression. She's wasn't just a wild sex partner, a power struggle or part of one of his plots. At least at that moment, she meant more to him. The warmth that filled her at this realisation surprised her.

"I have a question," Ryder nodded for her to continue. "That first time we met, in the woods when you attacked us. Why didn't you just kill me?"

"That wasn't the first time we met. I ordered the ambush but I couldn't be there for it. I had to assist in the birth of my God-son because we don't have a midwife yet." Ryder's dark gaze tightened.  "I ordered that no lives be taken,." Absentmindedly he began to rub soothing circles with his fingertips against her arms. "We couldn't let you leave to tell the pack but that didn't mean you deserved to die. I'm not a monster, Lauren. I do only what I have to."

"You ordered that no one was to be killed?" Lauren's voice caught in the middle and her eyes grew watery but she didn't fall. Ryder didn't need to answer because she could read his eyes completely. Ryder's men hadn't killed George, they didn't have to when they could use their powers to weaken and paralyse him. She realised that she must have always known what happened but her mind had protected her from the knowledge.

She had fired blindly in all directions, in the cold grip of terror and whilst she had wished that the final shot wasn't her, there had been no one else wielding a gun at all. "I killed George." Her voice and body was numb from the shock. Ryder's voice seemed to be coming from a long way off, as if the ocean waves were crashing against her head.   

"It wasn't you're fault! Please don't blame yourself, hate me instead." Ryder pleaded. Dazedly, she shook her head.

"Ruby leaves," she whispered softly, staring into the distance, "why were the leaves so red?"

"Lauren!?" Ryder shook her roughly, worry etched into his handsome face.

*

Mary noticed Lauren's distracted state but didn't comment. Ryder had left half an hour ago, he'd looked pained to leave so it must have been important. Christian had gone to the weapon's room, he liked to tinker and improve on the older models. Mary sighed. She wished that Lauren would just leave so that she could have some time to herself. She had planned to do a little bit of gardening this morning and she was making a pretty bag on the sewing machine. She fidgeted with annoyance in her chair.

Lauren stood up suddenly, her expression down cast.

"Where are you going?" Mary asked, eyes shining with hope.