Don't Mourn Him

Ryder turned the key in the lock and opened the bedroom door. A small smile tugged at the corners of his lips as he saw Lauren sat up on the bed, glaring at him, arms crossed over her chest. He wondered if she was aware that she pushed her breasts up invitingly when she held her arms like that. He looked slowly up and down her enticing form. Whilst his eyes lingered on the smooth contours of her legs the purpose of the gaze was to ascertain her injuries. Her neck was covered in gauze but otherwise she was only bruised, her head wound had looked a lot worse than it was.

In one swift movement Lauren sprang to her feet and stood defiantly before him, Ryder was pleased to see that she didn't even sway.

"Don't even think about touching me or I'll claw your eyes out!" She snapped quickly. Ryder chuckled.

"I see that somebody is recovering nicely." He caught the flash in Lauren's emerald eyes when she noticed the open door. She tried to dodge passed him and out into the hall way but Ryder's reflexes were quicker. He grabbed her roughly around the waist and spun her around, slamming her into the door now closed behind her. She grunted with pain when her head whipped back and smacked the heavy wood.

Ryder removed his hands from her waist and placed them either side of her head. He lowered his head but Lauren turned her face away from him so the tip of Ryder's nose brushed only against her smooth cheek. Both of them were breathing heavily. "Impressive, you're stunt the other evening, I'll admit I under estimated you."

"Better not do that again then." Lauren advised coldly, her eyes as hard as ice.

"You're stupider than I thought." Ryder's tone matched her coldness. "Now I'm pissed." His voice was low and threatening. He was pleased to feel her shiver against him.

"If I'm stupid than you must be the mayor of dumb town," she turned her head to face him now, her eyes blazing with fury, "to have believed even for a moment that I would ever want you!" Ryder took a step back, his smile falling away replaced by a dark scowl.

"Careful Lauren or I might yet take you up on your offer and have you hard and fast all night long." He purred, his grey eyes darkening with lust.

"That wasn't an offer, it was deal. A deal you'll never win." She replied confidently. Ryder tilted his head to the side in curiosity.

"Oh?"

"You can't kill a vampire." She grinned at seeing his startled expression. "Trust me I come from a long line of vampire hunters." Taking advantage of his momentarily slip of concentration she put her hands firmly against his chest and pushed him off of her. Ryder recovered face quickly.

"A vampire and a vampire hunter, teaming up, it's the stuff of fiction." He mocked lightly. "What did you offer him in exchange for helping you? Was it the same enticement you made me?" The idea of her playing the same act with Aiden made his insides seethe with jealousy. It was Lauren who took an angry step toward him now.

"I offered not to kill him. I could make you the same offer." Her tiny hands were clenched into fists that trembled by her sides. Ryder burst out laughing. His laughter had a deep rumble that shook his entire frame and when he truly smiled lines appeared in the corners of his bright eyes. He couldn't stop the onslaught of hysteric's and clutched his side as it began to hurt. Lauren's sudden punch took him completely by surprise and knocked him off his feet.

Blinking back stars he looked up in time to see her slam the bedroom door shut behind her. He heard the click of the lock.

"Shit!" 

Springing to his feet he tried the handle, yanking and tugging on it urgently but it wouldn't budge. Muttering a choice of curse words directed at Lauren he moved quickly to the other side of the room. Unleashing a manly war cry he charged at the door. The frame shuddered and the door flew off its hinges under the assault. Picking himself up, Ryder sprinted after Lauren's retreating figure.