Chapter 9

©CRGangell aka Whitesabretooth

Chapter 9

Wolfgang spotted Rayven before she walked into the dining room that morning, catching her eye he gestured her over. Rayven swallowed visibly and moved towards him. When he knew she was following he started to walk to the grand library. Rayven followed him in and was pleased to note that there were two covered trays waiting on the table for them and a pot of coffee.

Wolfgang sat and gestured for her to take the seat across from him. “Temperance said you have an addiction to coffee.” He stated as he poured out two mugs.

“Yes,” Rayven answered as she reached for the mug Wolfgang offered.

“It seems everyone is addicted in this house, at least it’s not an evil addiction.” He said with a grin trying to get her to relax. It didn’t work which caused him to sigh. “Look… Rayven… whatever you’ve heard about me… is probably true.” He took a deep breath, “however, once I decide someone is a friend, I don’t get swayed.”

Rayven watched him for a moment, looking directly at him but she kept her face devoid of expression, on the inside however she was a bundle of nerves. She took a sip of her coffee and frowned as she tried to place the flavour.

“Is there a problem with the coffee?” Wolfgang asked.

Rayven shook her head. “No… but what is the added flavour?”

“That would be cinnamon,” Wolfgang answered, “It’s my favourite.” He added as he lifted a cover to see what was for breakfast, it was a selection of left overs that had his mouth watering. “Rayven, I’m not going to bite you, I would just like to get to know you. More than likely you will be staying at the central den and I make it a point to know everyone who calls this home.” He explained.

Still Rayven said nothing, she wasn’t doing it on purpose; it was just how she was trained.

Wolfgang rolled his eyes, “this is starting to grate on my nerves, Rayven, we, as in me and Amy are not out to destroy you, we named you as pack yesterday, we won’t kick you out unless you seriously break the rules.”

“What would you like to know?” Rayven asked as she picked at her tray of food, more than anything she wanted to answer his questions and be open to him but old habits, training that had been drilled into her, were hard to overcome.

“Whatever you feel comfortable enough to tell me.” He explained just as Amy walked in with her own tray.

“Don’t mind me,” Amy said as she sat next to Wolfgang and started to tuck in.

Destiny was the next to walk in with her own tray of food, “so have you managed to get her to really talk yet?”

“Only about coffee,” Wolfgang said slightly amused.

Destiny chuckled as she sat next to Rayven, “thought as much, Rayven was trained never to speak in front of her leader unless it was to confirm an order or answer a direct question. I couldn’t get her to speak for months when she first came into work for me. It took an explanation from the envoy who replaced her that I finally understood. Give her rules and she’ll obey.”

“Just like that?” Wolfgang asked.

“Yes but once you make the rules you can’t change them. Rayven has been a trained weapon almost her entire life.” Destiny explained and Rayven was relieved that Destiny was here to explain to them.

“She talks to Crystal,” Amy stated.

“Yeah but Crystal takes her orders from you two, you are the leaders and she is one of your officers.” Destiny explained. “She talks to Serenity for the same reason.”