Wild Wooly's

Chapter Three: Wild Wooly's 

(1752 words)

"So why so glum chum?" Roxanne stared at me curiously.

We were driving through the Albertos drive-thru picking up the one thing I missed most about San Diego, rolled tacos. The food was taking forever allowing the reality of tonight's events to temporarily settle into my mood.

Dane had run across the street to find a liquor store in hopes of locating a New York drink he swore by, which left Roxanne keenly aware of my shift in energy.

"No reason." I answered knowing full well Roxanne didn't believe me.

"Was that Richard Tate I saw you talking to?" I could see her green eyes studying me from the reflection in the rear view mirror.

"Yup"

"He was there because..." She trailed off signaling my cue to complete the sentence.

"He came with his... he came with Brandy." I couldn't bring myself to say the word and I didn't want to admit to myself why.

"Brandy James?" I watched her pencil thin eyebrow stab her brow line in confusion.

"No," I shook my head, "Brandy Tate." I felt years of repressed sadness rise inside me as the last name I had avoided uttering for years stung my mouth. I could feel the tears well up inside my ducts and I quickly looked out the window to avoid Ro's view.

"Oh." Was all she answered. Ro had been my friend for years, and more than anyone she knew the pain that the final letter caused.

The day I received the 6 word letter I called Ro from Cal Poly sobbing as if my heart had ripped open. I had been on the verge of quitting school just to immerse myself in the pain that had gripped me. Despite the fact that she worked full time, the only option Ro's mother had given her when she chose not to go to college, she offered to quit and drive up that night. I was stunned at my friend's loyalty; the realization of what she had offered to give up for me brought me back to reality and I remained up at school, throwing myself with more determination into my school work.

"They had it!" Dane threw himself back into the front passenger seat carrying a large brown paper bag.

"Okay, well let's see this miracle drink." Roxanne reached into the bag as Dane slapped her hand away.

"Hold on a minute." Dane reached deep into the oversize bag and pulled out a bottle of...water. "Tada! Poland spring water." He held up the small liter for us to see.

"That's water." Roxanne gave him a crazy look as the drive thru attendant opened the window and called out to her.

"No honey, this is new York purified lake water. This is a miracle elixir, this is what water is supposed to taste like, you know without all the pollution and crap."

"It's water, you ran across Broadway in the dark, through the prostitutes and crack heads to get...water." Roxanne dug threw her purse looking for cash as she curled her lip at Dane.

"First off there are no prostitutes in this crappy little town, and the crack heads are all tucked away safely in the motel 6."

"Thanks for the info Dane." I mumbled in amusement at the two in the front seats.

"Continuing, second this water is what keeps me looking so good I make men AND women purr. So yeah I ran across four lanes to get water and I would do it again." Dane threw the bottle back into the brown paper bag just as Roxanne tossed our food in his lap.

"Good for you, now let's get to Wild Wooly's before I drown you in that little bottle of water. I need a real drink." Roxanne pealed out of the drive thru and headed down Broadway towards Wild Wooly's.