Uh, excuse me? Mr. Demon? Are you sure this is HEAVEN? 'Cause it feels more like HELL. (Chap. 2 1/4)

Uh, excuse me? Mr. Demon? Are you sure this is HEAVEN? 'Cause it feels more like HELL. by: Faerie_Writer

CHAPTER 2 PART 1/4

As we left the golden field, we came upon another forest. This one was not as dense as the first, but still it frightened me to think I might once more be plunged into the same dark loneliness, like that which I had experienced only moments before.

Or, at the bare minimum it appeared to only have been a few mere moments ago. Though, I suppose it might not have been that short a time. At this point, I may well give up with any effort towards the achievement of discovering the time, since the wooded area I was now traveling through was bursting with the same thick-leaved jade green trees I had seen earlier. And though, as I have said, the cover the leaves here offered was no where near as thick as the first forests', the small patches in the high-up canopy that were vacant of leaves, only allowed small rays of light to dance through.

This achieved a spotlight affect that seemed to light up the forest through multiple thin bands of light, creating somewhat of an elegant fairy tale setting, as it speckled the tree bark and ground with little pools of daylight. This revealed to me that the ground I stood upon was not a mixture of mud and dirt as I had once thought, but soft-colored sand. Never anywhere I had I seen anything like this quiet forest, and if I had, I couldn't recall.

"Where are we?" I inquired softly to myself, and though I believed my words to be hushed enough so that they were not heard by anyone else, my question was still answered by Talon, who frightened me by abruptly appearing by my side. "We're in the Jade forest." He whispered softly, as though afraid of disturbing some unseen company, "In fact, we've been in the Jade forest the whole time, that plain is just the marker of where the forest becomes... insanely thicker, so thick there is..."

"...no light, or room to breathe." I finished, and he looked at me, astonished. "You've been inside it?" he questioned. I nodded, and the color swiftly drained from his face, "You're from the other side..." he muttered softly, before leisurely shaking his head, "It all makes sense now. Leave it to Lucifer to find a way around the Old Laws."

"Old... Laws...?" I asked, trying the words on my tongue, and finding they had a foreign air. I knew they fit in and were owned by this strange setting that I had come to find myself in, not in the unknown site from which I had come from.

Talon shook his head once more, but this time with a despairing air, "You know nothing. Even less than any other human here."

"And she is to know nothing, until I tell her anything else." Lucifer spoke, stepping out of once empty air, and brining a cold chill along with him. "Leaving her in the dark isn't very fair." Talon scolded, with a shake of his head, his russet curls bouncing along with the movement.

"True; fair it isn't." Lucifer said, glowering at Talon, as though he had said more than he should have, "But I am NOT fair, and if being unjust keeps her safe then so be it. Better alive and unknowing, than dead and wise, for what good is information if you're dead?" Talon pondered this for a moment before nodding in agreement, and this appeared to be the end of the discussion, for Lucifer quickly changed the subject.

"We are moving to slowly," he told Talon and I, "we need to reach the camp by nightfall, and we are very far away from reaching that goal." Talon shrugged, "What do you suppose we do then? Eve's only human, she can't travel as swiftly as we can, and that dress isn't much a help."

Dress? For the first time, I looked down and truly took a look at what I was clothed in. I found my outfit to consist of a simple ashen dress that seemed to be draped loosely over me. The fabric was soft and light, and I could understand why I had not felt any weight bearing down upon me. On my feet were some golden sandals, and I felt like a Greek goddess...

"Lovely!" I heard a women's voice exclaim, as flash of picture, memory maybe even, seemed to hit me full on, and I saw the woman who owned the voice. She was short, skin so fakely tanned it seemed to glow a repulsive orange, face so pulled back with face lifts it was creepy, hair dyed so blonde it was almost white, but it were the eyes that were the worst; frantic, fidgety, bloodshot, misty, and unfocused as though the woman were not really here. These were the eyes of my mother. I don't know where this label of 'mother' came from, but it was there and I had no reason to doubt it.

"We'll take it!" My mother exclaimed, and I could feel myself shudder in the memory. I felt the hate that flowed from me and covered the fabric in dark, sticky cobwebs. I hated this dress. I loathed it. I was disgusted by it's beauty, it's purity in color and shape, I wanted to rip it off and trample it under foot.

In my memory I turned and looked in the golden gilded mirror belonging to the dimly lit dressing room which I stood, and was faced with a girl who looked like she belonged in a painting, a piece of art. A girl with dark, auburn hair, twisted up into an elegantly curled ponytail that trailed down coming to rest upon her shoulder. A girl with eyes so blue they shone and sparkled like sapphires on display. A girl with peach colored skin, not too pale nor too tan, simply a perfect mixture of both. The girl in the mirror sneered, and even with such an unsightly gesture, she couldn't look unattractive, not in that dress, or that makeup, no matter how much she wished it. Nothing like the shell of the woman she called mother.

The girl spoke, "I hate the dress. I don't want it." The voice was light and sweet. The voice was mine. I was the girl. "I don't want the dress." I repeated, anything but this dress. "But you look ravishing darling!" my mother explained, slipping the credit card to the sales clerk, who skipped out of the dressing room, bright at the concept of her commission. No doubt this was an expensive little piece of fabric.

"I hate the dress. I don't want it." I said again, as though my mother hadn't heard me the first two times. "But darling... Peter will love it!" my mother cried, as though that were to spur me to want this dress. It did quiet the opposite.

"NO!" I shrieked, forgetting that I was a mature sixteen-old, and throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of the dressing room, "I HATE THE DRESS! I DON'T WANT IT!" My eyes were wild and crazy, allowing me to catch my first glimpse of resemblance to my mother, who simply stood there shocked at my behavior.

I swung out my hand with no clear aim, and it slammed against the mirror with such force that the pretty little thing shattered, distorting the image of me in the mirror, and the picture of this incident and I was brought, gasping, back to myself.

"Eve?" Lucifer and Talon questioned immediately, concerned, "Are you alright?" I simply nodded in reply, not quite trusting myself to speak yet. What had that been? A memory, or simply a picture my mind had conjured up to fill the blanks left in my empty head? To fix the words that lay without meanings in my brain?

Talon looked at me and shook his head, "In that condition I doubt she can walk... I'll carry her." Lucifer shook his head, "I'll do it dog." Talon growled at the comment, but none-the-less backed away and allowed Lucifer to gather me up in his arms.

Without conscious control, I found myself clinging to him, as we now speed through the forest moving much faster than we had all day. Talon, taking wolf form once more, loped along beside us.

At first, I had worried that with such a large form, and such close trees that Talon would crash into some of them, but he didn't, and whenever any seemed to near, he sailed through them, and they through him, as though neither were solid. After a few moments of wracking my brain trying to figure out how this was done, I assumed it was due to Talon's 'glamour' and that it was far out of my comprehension.