Don't You Just Love Surprises?

Chapter Four: Don’t You Just Love Surprises?

This may sound a little weird. Shocking even. But for some reason unbeknown to me, I'm kind of excited about tonight. I mean, it's not so much the fact that I'm going on a double date with someone who apparently went to my high school. I'm just really happy to finally see a smile on Summer's face. I'm especially excited to see the person contributing to her happiness. It’s hard for me to admit this, but before she met Jake a couple months ago, things in her life weren't looking so good.

Four months ago Sum and I were goofing around in her attic, not really looking for anything in particular. We came across a wooden chest buried under a bunch of junk. It had her father's name, Peter Tuscano, carved into it. I looked over at Summer and she looked just as confused as I did. As far as Summer knew her parents didn't have anything valuable to give her after their deaths. She had a few pictures, which she said was enough for her.

Without hesitation, Summer opened the chest and found what looked to be at least half a million dollars in cash. "What the fuck is all of this?!" Summer screamed as she turned around and ran downstairs. I ran after her, but she ran with so much fury that I couldn't keep up with her. When I finally found her, she was nearly choking her uncle Vincent to death.

"Summer get off of him!" I shouted as I ran over to wrestle her off of him. Being the firecracker that she is, it was hard for me to do so , but I finally got her off of him.

"He's been lying to me my whole life Madison! I just know it!!" she fell to the ground and began to cry. I sat down next to her and cradled my best friend in my arms.

"What is she talking about Mr. Tuscano? Is this true?" I asked. He looked really upset, but not angered by what just happened. It's almost as though he was expecting all of this to happen. He stood up from his position on the kitchen floor and motioned for us to follow him into his study. After Summer collected herself, we followed him into the study and sat down in a black, leather couch adjacent to him.

"Ughh," he finally sighed after sitting in awkward silence for what seemed like a lifetime . "I didn't want you to find out this way Summer. Your aunt and I should have told you sooner, but we didn't want to hurt you. We love you so much that we don't even see you as a niece. We see you as our own. I know my brother would have wanted it that way."

"Wanted what? What are you talking about?! Just tell me already!" Summer yelled as she stood up to try and attack him again, but I held her back.

"Ughh," he sighed again. "The fire that your parents died in wasn't a freak accident." Tears began to pour down Summer's face. She knew as well as I did what this was all about. It became clear. "living on the commune wasn't how your parents' envisioned it would be when they built it thirty years ago. Eventually everyone became blinded by what life outside the commune was like , so they picked up their things and left. Your mom and dad were the last ones left with hope of what the commune could be. They quit their jobs to pay for the land and used all the money they had saved up to pay for the land. They were tired of society. Your parents were true environmentalists that hated the outside world. When you were born everything changed. They felt that they finally had a reason to do something powerful in order to give you a great life. Your father didn't want to live life outside of the commune, but he also didn't want to shelter you from life’s possibilities. They didn’t want to push their beliefs on you." Tears began to roll out down Mr. Tuscano's face as he continued on with the story. I could tell this was getting hard for him too.

"Your parents didn't want you to go through life struggling. They sold the land to a developer, which is probably one of the hardest things they've ever had to do. They loved you so much Summer. They went against everything they ever believed in to give you a good life.