Chapter Six

The duo sat opposite Todd Harmer in a stifled silence. The middle aged, ginger man looked rather uncomfortable as he sat in the tall leather chair. Mr Biggs had left them at the door of the office, saying to Mr Harmer, "These gentlemen are here to investigate Chloe." And after giving Todd a meaningful stare, closed the door behind him.

"So, what was Chloe like?" asked John, leaning forward slightly.

"She was charming. A very friendly girl, cooperative, always listened to instructions, very organised, a real team player-"

"We are investigating her death. Not asking for a reference," interrupted Sherlock brusquely.

"Ah, yes, of course," stammered Todd. "But I mean it, she was all of those things. She was really chatty. Always talking to people in the hallway."

"What was your relation to the victim?" asked John, trying to keep his tone professional.

"Me? Well, we worked together for two years. Got along really well."

"And you're relationship was purely professional?" pushed John.

"Well of cour-"

"Obviously not. Just look at him. Fingers positioned over the mouth, right fist clenched, leaning his body away from us; he's clearly lying and uncomfortable about discussing his relationship with the victim. I would conclude that he had sexual relations with the victim."

"Once," admitted Harmer. "But it was a long time ago." He looked between John and Sherlock and sighed, realising he would have to explain himself. "Alright, but this has to stay in this office. I could lose my job for this." John frowned, his thoughts going to dark places as he contemplated what might lose him his job.

"Chloe and I dated two years back. We were really close, so naturally, there were sexual relations," he said, glaring a little at Sherlock. "We met here at work, she was just a receptionist back then. We got chatting at the annual Christmas party and really hit it off from there." He paused to look up at John, his cheeks flushing a little as he continued. "We kept it a secret, because we didn't want our relationship interfering with work, you know? But, when I got my promotion and was looking for a secretary, she insisted I give her the job." He looked between the two men opposite him. "I mean, it's not like its a crime, but I completely ignored all the other applicants. And some of them would have been excellent, no doubt, but I loved Chloe and ..."

"You were scared you'd lose her if you didn't give her the job?" asked John.

"Exactly. And she turned out to be a great secretary, but Mr Biggs can't know. When you work in finance, trust is everything. If he knew I rigged the interviews ..."

"Not to worry," replied Sherlock, in a tone that was far from comforting. "That sort of thing really isn't of interest to us."

"Were you still dating at the time of her death?" continued John.

"Goodness no. That ended about a year ago. We parted as friends, but I think she was growing bored of me. About two months after, she met someone else. We went our separate ways, emotionally, but maintained a good working relationship."

"And how was your relationship in the days leading to her death?" asked John.

"Fine, nothing unusual. Oh, I suppose if you want total honesty, we had a tiff over the printer. She wants a new one."

Sherlock nodded, "Thank you very much. Now if you don't mind telling us about discovering the body."

"Yes, of course," said Todd, his voice now a little shaky. "I ... I had a meeting with a client. Before I left I asked her to have the file for the next client, ready and on my desk."

Deductions: A Johnlock FanficOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara