Chapter One

Sherlock sat crouched in his armchair, tapping his fingers agitatedly over his knees. He had a craving; for a new case or a cigarette he wasn't sure but he knew he needed something! He turned his head to the door as he heard footsteps ascending the staircase. Judging by the heavy thuds, it was not Mrs Hudson coming to criticise the state of the apartment. The door swung open and John stepped over the threshold, toting a plastic bag full of groceries. His light brown hair had been neatly combed and he wore one of his usual knitted jumpers, today's was cream. He was wearing his old, black work shoes, though they had been polished recently, which was unusual. "Oh, you're awake I see," commented John.

"Of course I'm awake," replied Sherlock, fiddling with his dark blue dressing gown, "Sleeping is a waste of time. I can't think properly when I'm sleeping."

"Well you seemed pretty keen on the rest after last night," John told him as he unpacked his shopping.

Sherlock groaned, "That was a waste of time too. Remind me to never buy a cat." He paused a moment and looked to John. "Why did you go out?"

"To get milk. We're all out," John replied aspirated, holding up the carton. Sherlock looked at the carton and scrutinised it. "The salesman lied when he told you it would last two weeks. It expires in three days." He cocked his head and studied his friend. "But you didn't just go to the store. You visited someone. A woman; you're wearing cologne. And you wore a new jumper, so you were hoping to impress." He looked to his watch. "But it's only 9:27, so you can't have stayed long. Perhaps you were unable to woo her." He raised his eyebrows, waiting for John to be impressed.

"No one lied; this was all they had left. And yes, I visited a woman. About a job. And actually, I was successful." He went to put the milk in the fridge and moaned. "Sherlock, there is a severed foot in the fridge."

"So?" asked Sherlock with a surprised tone. It wasn't exactly unusual to find odd body parts in the kitchen.

"It wasn't there two hours ago. Where on earth do you find a foot at eight in the morning? God, I hate it when you get like this," exclaimed John.

"A job, you say?" asked Sherlock, ignoring the question about the disembodied limb. He was actually rather surprised. Partially, because he had been wrong, but also because John had a job. "Why would you want one of those?"

"To earn money, Sherlock. Incase you haven't noticed, our income is entirely based on what you get from your cases-"

"Our cases" Sherlock interrupted.

"-Our cases, and those depend solely on how much it captivates your interest," John explained. "And maybe you can live on nicotine patches alone, but I need food."

"But you tried a job and it didn't suit you," said Sherlock.

"This is different," John insisted. "Less hours, better pay, and the staff seem very nice. This will work out."

"I doubt it," he said dryly.

"Anyway, once I've put the shopping away, I'm going out again. And, to save you from the hassle of deducing it, I am going to see a girl," John told him.

Sherlock kept his expression neutral. "And who is it now? The boring shoe salesgirl, the stupid accountant or the smelly fish monger?"

John frowned, but replied, "Neither. Her name is Taylor and she's a librarian."

"Oh, so she's even more dull than the shoe girl."

"You know Sherlock, you could try to be more supportive," said John, sounding frustrated, and perhaps a little bit disappointed.

"I've told you before John, I only keep important stuff up here," he said, pushing his forefinger under his dark, curly hair.

John sighed, "I know Sherlock." And with that he turned and left the apartment the door closing behind him with a small click.

Sherlock stared at the door for a moment. It was a lie. Sherlock knew every single one of John's girlfriends' names. He could remember their occupation, address, date of birth and in some instances, their extended family. He couldn't work out why he felt the need to lie to his best friend. Why did it matter? Why did he have to pretend? No matter how many times he put it to himself logically, he still felt the twinge of annoyance whenever John mentioned his female friends. Was it that he detested them so much that he couldn't stand to hear about them? But that didn't add up, aside from facts, he barely knew them. Why was it he could read everyone like an open book, but when it came to his own feelings he was stumped? Sherlock gave a little smile. Perhaps the greatest case of all was that of his own mind. That however, could wait for another time. Right now, he needed a case. Something that would interest him, and take John away from his silly job. He sat up and grabbed John's laptop. With a few keystrokes he was in and was soon checking their emails.

Dear Mr Watson,

My friend Susie won't tell me her secret. I think it's because she likes the boy I like and doesn't want to help me. Please put your friend Mr Holmes on the case.

Love Sarah.

To Mr Watson,

My wife keeps going on holidays, every month to Spain. She tells me that it's business, but I can't stop worrying that she's having an affair. And yesterday I saw someone in her phone contacts named Andre. She's never told me about him and now I'm really worried. Could you please investigate?

Regards,

Russel Larson.

Sherlock made a noise of disgust. "How utterly boring. Doesn't anyone have any real problems?" His own blog was empty. It seemed everyone who wanted to contact him went through Watson. He occasionally wondered why that was. Maybe his short friend was more approachable than he was. Though that seemed ridiculous. He was perfectly approachable. Regardless, this didn't help him to find a case. He needed something much more serious. That's when he knew who he should call. With a wide grin on his face, he stood up and made his way into the kitchen. Ignoring the apparent shambles of chemistry sets and yesterday's toast, he reached for the slim, black phone that sat on the bench. Then with long, slim fingers, he dialled the number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so this is my first attempt at a fanfic so be gentle, though all comments and critics are welcome. Please tell me what you think and if you deem it worthy, give it a vote. :) THANKS!!