Chapter 2

Chapter Two

After the classical immature debacle that comes hand in hand with moving in with three guys, I found my room and started to unpack. My suitcase wasn’t big and neither were its contents, the price of living the life I do is materialistic possessions tend to be put last on the Christmas list. That doesn’t mean I don’t want them. The room was nice enough; it was on the second floor with the other collection of bedrooms, sandwiched between Shaun’s and Nathans. I could already tell I wouldn’t get much sleep. I was surrounded by the white walls you only find near the beach, the texture was lumpy and felt nice against my palm. The bed, which I was now sitting on, was comfy and had little fishes on it. How cute. There wasn’t much space in the room, most of the left wall taken up by the long white hotel style closet, now filled up with my clothes. There were beachy pictures on the walls; my favourite was the one of a hot surfer guy right above my bed. Currently, I was lying sprawled on my bed, my back on the comfy white and blue doona cover; a lovely view of the ceiling fan spinning around and around. I heard a sharp knock on the door, whoevers knuckles were having a spaz on my new door were making hollow sounds on the bleached wood. Swiftly I used my tummy muscles to hoist myself of the bed, swinging up my legs and landing on the soft blue carpet. I padded barefoot to the door, my flats abandon somewhere in my closet. I opened the door; using the solid frame as a support I dangled my head out to the corridor. Nathan was there, lounging against the crème wall paper, his eyes snapping down to me as the sound of my door opening brought him back into this dimension.“Yo, Rosalie.” He gave me his best smile, keeping his hands behind his back and looking as cute as he could. I wasn’t impressed. “You’re like, 19. That is very wrong to be looking like that.” He pushed up from the wall and looked at me, he chocolate brown eyes shimmering. “You know you love it.” I started to shut the door. “Ok, ok!” He said, laughter evident in his voice. “It was joke.” He had stepped closer to the door and I had to look up to let him see the full sarcasm on my face. “I thought jokes were meant to be funny.” He raised his eyebrowls at me, a wicked smile spreding across his face. "That was funny. It was so funny you nearly died." I didn't know how to respond to that. I looked at him, trying to force all my skeptism into my gaze. "Is their are particular reason you knocked on my door, or do you just like to annoy me?" Nathan barged his way in, shouldering through to me room. I followed him in, standing with my back against the door. I gosh, I love this carpet. “Brighten up, sunshine!” He said, grabbing me around the waist and spinning me around. I let out a small squeak of surprise. As the world around me blurred into white’s and blue’s I felt his warm hands, steadying me. I remained impassive, sliding my hands onto his shoulders to steady my upper half. He put me down, playfully ruffling my hair. “I love having you around. Your so cute!” Right. Giving him the death stare. “Point, remember?”

“Ah yes. The reason for my visit.” I nodded, the universal sign for hurry-the-hell-up-or-I-will-murder-you. “Were going out for lunch, wanna come?” I grabbed my wallet from my bed side table.

“Hells yes, where are we going?” He smiled, fluffy in the middle and sharp around the edges. We both headed towards the door. “Surprises, surprises.” I threw my purse at him and he ducked laughing as he sprinted through the corridor. Smiling, I gave chase.

The café we went to was amazing. We had a great beach view and the whole place looked like a beach version of a Victorian cafe. The table we chose was number 21 (Shaun’s lucky number) and it was written on elegant wooden stick things. “Like it?” Alex inquired, his eyes watching me above the laminated menu in his hands. I answered truthfully. “It’s cute. A nice place to eat.” Nathan was sitting next to me, his big hands massaging his even bigger shoulder. “Well I’m glad something is cute. Unlike the excruciating pain I am feeling right now thanks to somebody,” He paused to glare at me. I for one struggled not to burst out laughing. “Man, women. You hit hard.”

“Oh grow up, you big wuss. And I’m pretty sure that was an oxymoron.” Shaun gave him an eye roll and flicked a loose strand of golden hair out of his eyes. “I think I’ll have the meat and cheese burger.” Oh, yes. Eating. I picked up the menu, the words Beach Café written elegantly along the sides. I snorted. “Beach Café? They couldn’t have thought of something a little more imaginative?” Nathan looked at me, a serious look plastered onto his handsome face. “Hey. Do not dis my bud.” I raised my eyebrows.

“This café is you bud?” He nodded solemnly. I sighed and went back to scanning the menu.

“You really need a life.” I heard Shaun laugh and I looked up at the sound. It was kind of like the sound red wine would make if it had a voice. “You got owned, brother.” Nathan flicked one of the sugars at him from the little pot in the middle. Shaun caught it lazily, his hand snatching it in the middle of a half circle. Impressive. “You are no brother of mine!” Shaun raised his eyebrows at him, the action a strange mix of manliness and elegance. My heart thumped a little louder. Shit, I think I’m getting a crush. “And that hurts me so much. Please, Alex, give me a tissue to wipe away my tears of sorrow.” I buried my head in the menu, trying not to laugh. What was wrong with these people? “Shaun, I’m not giving you a tissue to wipe away your imaginary tears of sorrow.” Alex told him still looking at the food choices. “Why not? Would you rather have me dissolve into a pitiful ball of depression in full view of the all-knowing public eye?” My shoulders started shaking.

“Only cowards cry in public!” Nathan added and although I couldn’t see him I could tell he was pointing accusingly. “Only idiots cry by themselves.” The elegant black scrawl blurred in front of my eyes as I swallowed the laughter building up in my throat. “Only dick heads argue about pretend things.” Alex added the exasperated tone evident in the way his voice picked up in the end.

“Who are you calling dick head?” That was Nathan, his voice layered up with appearance of being tough. “You, Nathan. I’m calling you are dick head.”

“Why are you calling me a dick head?”

“Cause you are a dick head.”

“Shaun!”

“What? It’s true.”

“It is true.”

“Don’t agree with him!” Nathans voice was climbing to an unnaturally high.

“If you get any higher you’ll be Cinderella.”

“If you get anymore sarcastic you’ll be Artemis Fowl.”

“Oh will you guys please try to be mature.”

“If Alex gets any more serious he’ll be that guy of river monsters.” Shaun stage whispered Nathan. Unexpectedly a bubble of laughter slipped through my lips, and once one drop escapes the whole frikkin damn breaks free. I laughed so hard until my shoulders shook and even though all three guys were looking at me like I was from another planet I let the laughter roll off my tongue. My hands held my sides, keeping both halves of me together as their incredulous faces swum into teary images. “You know what?” Nathan said brightly. “I think that’s the first time I’ve heard her laugh.”