VII

Previously:

"How can we stop it?" Nick asked.

"I don't know," Paris began, "But I wanna find out."

________________________________

The heat was eating away at Paris's comfort and coolness as she sat against the old sofa in the small tree house Nick called home, thinking about the marking on her arm and what Aggie told her. Something had to be done about the golden glow whether she would die stopping it or break multiple bones. The strong ones were the people that stood up for the world and risked their life, even for the people that were cruel or didn't deserve it. Paris laid her back on the sofa and dabbed her forehead with her hand feeling the droplets of sweat forming on her skin. Wind entered through the window, carrying brisk refreshing air along with it. Paris breathed in.

     A knock came on the door and Nick entered with a spiky purplish-pink object in his hand. "Not often do you find dragon fruit on the island. Surprisingly it's very rare." He chucked the dragon fruit at Paris, who grabbed it and examined the odd fruit. "It's editable so if you want I can cut it up for you. I used some rocks and made sharp stone knives."

     Paris smiled at him. She knew he was trying to cheer her up. Within a week more than she could imagine became reality; Isabel died, lightning struck her, and least expected was to drown in a bathtub. "I'm good." She placed the exotic fruit on a table.

     "Alright." Nick turned around and began walking towards his bed, then stopped. "Are you sure you're okay? I know you told me you were earlier but—it's just after all that's become."

     "I understand. Honestly I'm alright; I just need time alone to think."

     Paris held her hands in her jean pockets awkwardly; it felt like time stopped when Nick looked at her with pitiful eyes. When she was younger Paris was told strangers were bad, but he was different. She felt as if she could open up to him in an unusual way. He saved her from lightning, drowning, and walked miles to help her get answers to why this happened. Knowing this, that she was marked, made her breathing heavily and her heart thump in an abnormal way like a parading solider. Not a day went by where Paris didn't regret letting her cousin slip or abandoning her Great Aunt Tina or leaving her parents frightened by the fact to why she hadn't called. At least if she'd be stuck on the island she wouldn't be alone. There was Nick and Aggie.

     But what if one of them were to get injured? Aggie's information would all disappear like a ghost in thin air. There would be no more questions answered. And what about Nick? Paris wouldn't have a guard anymore. She would be clueless of where to go on the island. She barely knew herself how to get to Aggie's house. With Nick gone Paris was weak―vulnerable. She had no idea how to keep herself alive on a lost island.

     Paris pressed her lips together, breathing in slowly, and followed Nick to the corner of the room where his bed laid, white pillows tinted grey from time, alongside blankets of green and blue covering a small mattress. He raised his chin, looking up at her with his startling bright blue eyes, and asked, "You want me to cut the dragon fruit now?"

     "I want you to train me to defend myself," Paris demanded with crossed arms. Nick choked on air, coughing and coughing until his throat was free.

     Nick stood up and lowered his head. Their eyes met each other's gaze. His piercing eyes like a wave hitting against the rocks looking down at her hazel eyes the color of leafs with flecks of brown in the center. "Are you sure you're up for that?" he asked. Paris nodded.

     Paris followed Nick down the pole and to the back of the tree house. The air was torrid and lacked a breeze. Dirt patches with few plants and leafs covered the open space. Distantly an animal whined deep within the forest of the island. Shadows cast upon the ground by trees weren't present. Instead scorching sunshine blazed from above. Paris's cheeks burned red as she stared up at the sky. The only shadow was from the small patches of grass dotting the ground. A musky scent tainted the thick air. "Grab this gun from me as I aim it at you."

     Paris laughed. "That's not a gun. That's a stick" Nick narrowed his eyes in a glare kind of look. "Alright, I'll take the gun from you. Doesn't seem too hard."

     Nick pointed the stick at her as if it were a gun. Paris stood there unsure of how to handle the situation. She swiftly spun and grabbed his smooth wrist pointing the gun away from her towards the desolated vegetation. The gun was almost in her possession. Paris reached with her other hand for the gun, struggling to secure Nick's hand that was holding the gun. Her fingers were on the gun, touching the rugged texture. Nick was stronger than her. His wrist freed from her grip and he twisted around holding the gun and his arms around Paris. Nick grinned. "Surrender little one," he whispered into her ear.

     "Never," Paris replied.

     "Have it your way." Nick turned Paris around nearly lifting her off her feet. His arms were still wrapped around her. Their bodies were close, almost close enough to feel his heartbeat against hers that was beating rapidly. He half-smiled and then let out a small friendly laugh. "The little mistakes we make during life..." Paris smiled.

     He dropped the stick on the ground but still kept his arms around her. Just as he let go, for that quick moment his arms lifted from upon her back, they returned to position. Nick leaned closer, Paris mimicking. He lowered his arms, holding her waist and moved a strand of brown hair from her face. Paris slowly raised her arms up his shirt and clasped them around his neck as if they were hugging. She had to stand on her tippy-toes to reach anything above his shoulder. For a moment the world stopped and time seemed fruitless. Their lips pressed together gently, getting more passionate throughout the clock. Paris could feel her heart beat against his. The sounds of the island were blocked out. No longer did the waves crash against the shore or the birds chirp high in the trees or the insects buzz. Only the sounds of beating hearts and breathing were present. Paris lulled her eyes. Nick kept his open and soon closed them. The world around them disappeared into darkness as they continued to kiss.

     Paris opened her eyes and dragged her arms down from around his neck. He flicked his eyes open and their lips pulled apart as Paris tasted the last bits of dragon fruit. Nick's arms fell from her waist as she smiled and walked away into the tree house.