Chapter 2

©CRGangell aka Whitesabretooth

Chapter 2

Sage awoke slowly, her mind fuzzy as she didn't remember much after the lashings started. She took in her surroundings slowly, realizing that she was cradled carefully in Alanna’s arms. Alanna had propped her shoulders against the far wall of the cell as her back bore the brunt of the lashings she had received and this position kept pressure off those same lashings. Sage was belly down on top of her but the added weight didn‘t bother her. In fact, it was kind of comforting. Pain slowly made its presence known to Sage as her mind started to focus, tears forced their way out of her eyes as it ate at her.

“Calm down, slow your breathing and the pain will pass.” Alanna said softly, her breaths were shallow to keep her wounds from being torn open.

Sage calmed her body and breathing. “How are you?” She asked, concerned with Alanna who should also be in as much pain as her... or worst.

“Fine.” Alanna responded musingly, not understanding how she could be so calm. This was her worst nightmare come to life yet she was… calm... even resigned to the situation. It might be due to the fact that she was still keeping her mind detached from her body, allowing her rational mind to work. It also helped that she was focusing on counting Sage’s breathing more than anything else.

“What happened?” Sage asked warily, not wanting to know if she had disgraced herself.

“You blacked out after your eighth lashing. Perhaps you should have yelled out ‘cos the more we didn’t cry out, the harder the lashings became. They expected us to cry out.” Alanna told her, trying not to dwell too much on the beating.

“I didn’t want to give them the satisfaction. They can hit me as hard as they want. I watched my mother die and it didn’t break me, you think a few lashings will?” She spat through her gritted teeth then took several slow breaths as pain ate at her. When she had it under control again she asked, “How long was I out?”

“I was hoping you could tell me. Where is your father?” Alanna asked quietly, as talking meant moving and moving meant pain.

Sage closed her eyes and sent her mind out. Her back immediately twitched in a spasm of pain drawing her back. She whimpered softly and buried her head into Alanna’s chest. She shook her head. “Can’t.”

“You can.” Alanna said firmly, she wasn‘t trying to be cold with Sage although it may have sounded that way. She was just trying to encourage her sister. “Ride the pain, make it give you strength.”

Sage took a shallow breath and closed her eyes, her sister’s words giving her confidence to help deal with the pain. She sent her mind back out and connected to her father. Da.

What’s wrong Sage? Dominic asked, picking up on the slight twinge of pain that laced her voice.