Chapter 1- bad days

“B-bu-but, Tori, this is the best place for you to meet your mate.” I looked over at Jessica and let out a dry laugh.

“Look, I honestly don’t like disappointing you, but I don’t think that going to the dance is my thing if you know what I mean.” I said dodging students here and there to get to my locker. “And meeting a mate is the last thing on my mind right now.”

Jessica looked at me as if I had just grown six heads.

“You what?!” she looked at me incredulously. I stopped at my locker and turned my back to her. Shoving my books in, I sighed. Jessica can get a little overdramatic at times.

“What’s with you and this stupid dance anyway,” I said turning to face her just as the bell rang signaling class time. Her ocean blue eyes widened in shock.

“Are you calling McKinley High’s welcoming dance for seniors stupid? Did you eat lunch?” she asked cupping my face in her hand and turning it this way and that, examining me. “You look normal, hmm, open up.” I rolled my eyes and pulled my face out of her hands.

“I am not going, Jessica, and that’s the end of discussion.” I managed to say without laughing at the way Jessica had her full lips drawn in a thin line and her little button nose scrunched up in concentration. Her thinking face. Probably thinking of a way to get me to go.

 “Come on, we have to get to class.” I said grabbing a book from my locker and slamming it shut. I winced as the sound echoed down the empty hallway. I heard Jessica whimper as I said class. If it had not been for my werewolf hearing, I probably would not have heard it.

I started walking down the hall and heard footsteps as Jessica ran after me. I looked over at her and grinned. She froze.

“Oh god, Tori, you have something stuck in your braces.” She said, looking horrified. She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the restroom, when I saw the door, I went through it before Jessica could. As soon as I was in, I heard the door slam close and then a click. I looked up to see her grinning. I glanced up at the mirror to confirm what I already knew, there was nothing in my teeth. I sighed.

“Jessica, really?”

“Oldest trick in the book and you still fall for it. That and acting class.” She replied a cocky grin sat smug on her face.

“I really would like to see what trick you’ll use when I take them off on my birthday.” I said and smiled when her grin faltered a bit.

“Wait,” she said walking away from the door, seeing me eyeing the door, she walked back to it and leaned against it. “Your birthday is tomorrow which is Thursday, and the dance is Friday, so that means-“ she looked at me with wide and excited blue eyes, not good.

“perfect.” I muttered under my breath.

“Yes that’s it, it will be perfect, absolutely perfect.” She squealed.

With as much power as I could muster, I said, “Jessica Alistair Harvey, let me out of this bathroom now!”

“Not until you, Victoria Angelina Anna Maria Parks swear to come to the dance.”

I sighed. “I really can’t get out of this can I?”  

“Nope!” she said popping the p.

“Fine, I-“

“Wait!” she shouted, and took her phone out of her pink and blue checkered jacket pocket. She held the phone up to my lips.

“What are you do-“

“Keep speaking about the dance. And never question what I do,” she snapped. I took a gulp, knowing I was going to regret this, but I continued.