Chapter 18: Tracking Down The Enemy

Avery's POV

For more than a few seconds, we both locked gazes with each other and I was tempted to reach out and touch her face but resisted it since I knew that I might be going too far for my own good. It was a strange feeling that I'm experiencing right now. We've just met each other and all I could ever think about is how much I'm attracted to her for some reason that I still don't know until now.

Evanity broke the silence by clearing her throat and looking away and asked awkwardly, "Your sister told me that you're elemental power is cosmic manipulation but why didn't you use it awhile ago during the battle?"

"I could only use cosmic manipulation during good weather to generate stellar winds and cosmic storms," I explained. "Besides that, using my elemental power would cause a massive destruction in our surroundings and I wouldn't want the fjord in Enara reduced into ruins just because of the Cabrians."

"Good point," Evanity said then we fell into another period of silence again.

Attempting to start another small conversation with her again I asked, "Why were you planning to go to the kingdom of Enara in the first place, Vann? Even before you met Tarah?"

"It's because I've been given a mission by my late father..." her voice faltered and I can see her struggling to keep her composure and trying to hold back her tears.

"It's okay," I told her, placing a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "I know exactly how you feel. My own father has passed away too and there are still some moments in time when I would picture his face clearly, bringing back all the pain and hurt that has been buried deep down inside me."

She drew a deep breath and exhaled loudly. "For me it feels like I thought that I've already moved on and accepted the fact that he's gone from my life. But when I come across something that reminds me of him all the sorrow and grief comes rushing back to me bringing with them all the bittersweet memories that my Father and I had spent with each other." She paused for a moment lost in her own thoughts. Then the next second, she was wiping away the unshed tears that were building up in her eyes and was back to her old self.

"Anyway, my Father, Ravier, who used to be the Supreme Commander of the Airan Army gave me a mission before he passed away."

"What mission?" I asked suddenly feeling intrigue then leaned forward towards her.

"He told me to look for the Lord of Thunder -"she stopped talking when she saw my eyes widen in disbelief. "What's wrong, Ave?"

"He was my father," I whispered almost inaudibly and I see Evanity's brows furrowing as she tried to discern what I had just said.

"B-but..." she stammered in bewilderment as she tried to think up of something to say. "If he's your father and Tarah's, then how come Tarah doesn't know who he is?"

I sighed heavily, stood up and began pacing back and forth throughout the cabin. "My sister isn't really familiar with the titles that the Airans call the royalists. She only knows her own title which is the Ice Davian. As the eldest I have to know all of the royalists in Enara and in the other kingdoms as well. Even if the Airans knew the different positions of the royalists they're still used to calling them in titles. My Father's power was thunder and electricity that's why they call him the 'Lord of Thunder'."

"Oh," Realization dawned to Evanity, but I could see that she was disappointed over the fact that she wouldn't be able to accomplish her mission after all that she went through. "Well, I guess that everything that I've went through was all for nothing."

I gave her a wry smile. "You could at least talk to his son."

"Well..." she hesitated for a second before she continued. "My father, Ravier, got wounded in the war between the Airans and the Cabrians and before he passed away he told me to go on a journey to Enara to find your parents and inform them about the Cabrians attacking Airy and that pretty soon they'll be attacking the other kingdoms as well. But apparently, it's too late since they've already reached Batidalle and Enara awhile ago."