Prologue

An Airan's Quest

By Erin7133

Copyright © 2013 by Erin7133

All rights reserved.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anyway before I get this story started there are some things that you should know:

Terms found in the book:

Alleo - king

Learnah - queen

Havian - prince

Davian - princess

Avilar - palace

seclaire - soul/psyche

milaire - amulet/object; where people's powers are stored

Well I guess that's it. The other things that you need to know are found in the succeeding pages of this book.

Happy reading!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Prologue

She navigated her way through the empty streets, glancing furtively around her every so often to check whether someone was following her. The once paved streets that had been brimming with Enaran residents had now been reduced into a bare parcel of land, the shops and stores lining either side of the road were closed due to the grand ceremony that was about to be held in the avilar.

All the way there, she kept her head down and carefully pulled over the hood of her royal blue robes to conceal her face then wrapped her robes more tightly against her to keep herself warm against the cold, biting wind. Under the robes, she was clad in a velvet purple gown which could hardly be seen through the small gap from it serving its purpose brilliantly. As her two-inched heels shoes clattered against the pavement, the thumping of her heart did the same thing as each step that she took brought her closer to him.

Finally, she rounded a corner and stood stock still when she laid her eyes on him. Standing on the middle of a small arch bridge was a guy dressed in a simple outfit of loosely fitting pants, and a white crisp shirt which greatly contrasted to her elegant attire underneath her cloak. As she drew closer towards him, she could already make out his high cheekbones, brown hair, and chocolate brown eyes which twinkled suddenly when he saw her.

When she was almost at the foot of the bridge, loud stomping footsteps from behind her reached her ears, and she whirled around horrorstruck when she set eyes on five Enaran soldiers all geared up wearing plate armors and domed metal helmets on their heads, each of them carrying a pike on their hands while swords also hang from their sword belts. One of them, who was wearing a disapproving scowl on his face said, "You better go now to the avilar, Your Highness. The ceremony is about to begin and they're all waiting for you."

She matched his facial expression and replied irately, "No. I have some important matters to attend to. Go back to the avilar and tell all of them to wait for me until I return. I'll be back shortly after.... Speaking with someone." Then she tossed her flaxen blond hair huffily over her shoulder.

He took a quick glimpse behind her shoulder then back at her again. He shook his head slowly as though reprimanding her without making any violent reactions for what she's doing. Still not losing his glowering gaze, he told her, "The Alleo's orders were very clear. We must not return without you."

"And what if I refuse?"

A wicked grin began forming on his lips as he snapped his fingers and motioned behind her towards the direction of the archway bridge. "That will happen."

She spun around and saw in utmost terror that the other four soldiers that were with him had sneaked up onto the bridge and were now holding the brown haired young man captive.

He was struggling helplessly against the soldiers, his arms wound securely against his back with metallic handcuffs. She watched as beads of perspiration rolled down from his forehead and then looked up to meet his eyes. Their usual sparkle was replaced by a frantic expression as he yelled desperately to the girl, "Rhea! Help me!"

Rhea's square-jawed face became ashen when she saw that one soldier was holding out a dagger and tilting it sideways so that it lingered on his neck. Her gaze met his once again and she could literally see his chocolate brown eyes screaming in panic and terror at her. He dared not to move any further or else the blade would strike his neck so instead he gripped the wrist of the soldier and tried in vain to rip it away.

"No!" Her heart pounded loudly against her chest and she turned back at the soldier. "Fine! I'll go with you. But please don't hurt him." Even though it was against her wishes, she conceded to defeat rather than have them harm him.

He smiled cruelly showing off his white gleaming teeth then took hold of her wrist and pulled her roughly alongside him. "We'll get going then." He began to march away but she jerked her hand from his grasp and tried to tug it free but to no avail. His hand had closed around hers in an iron-like grip and she suddenly had the feeling that something was wrong.

Rhea's stomach goes into free fall when she heard a sudden yelp of pain. She swiveled around and instead of seeing the brown-haired guy unchained like what she had expected, blood spilled out from his stomach leaving him crouching painfully across the bridge. While her brain struggled to comprehend the scene before her, her eyes caught sight of the soldier who held the dagger on his hand.

"How dare you do that to him?" She shrieked as tears streamed down from her eyes. She attempted to charge straight at him but the other soldier's hand was still clasped tightly around her wrist.

After a few more failed attempts of getting away, her gaze fell again on the brown-haired guy's limp body. His lively amber eyes were now slowly becoming glassy as he stared unblinkingly at her. However, before he could slip into unconsciousness, he mouthed the words to her, I'll always love you. Goodbye, Rhea.

It felt like her heart was being wrenched away from her chest as tears began to cascade down her cheeks and she couldn't help but cry out, "No! Don't leave me!" Grief began tearing her heart into tiny shattered pieces at the thought of him dying and leaving her all alone. Alden. My dearest Alden. She watched as he finally succumbed into a deep sleep. One that he will never wake up.

Then she turned her attention towards her captor and forcefully shoved him away. Her voice shook with rage as she said through clenched teeth, "You will pay for this." She took a deep breath and tried to summon her powers and blast him out of her sight but nothing happened.

He let out a raucous laughter at Rhea's confused expression which echoed all over the empty space. He held out his hand showing her, her tiara which consists of numerous interlocking diamond circles and she gasped in shock wondering how he could possibly have gotten it right under her nose. The evil smirk on his face became wider as he leaned towards her and whispered on her ear sending a cold shiver down her spine, "No, I won't. But you will."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Notes:

Hi everyone!!! This is my very first story in Wattpad and so I will appreciate it if you leave some comments and suggestions on how to improve my story better. However rude comments and suggestions are not allowed and will be deleted. Also, I hope that you'll enjoy reading since I've worked so hard on writing this novel.

P.S. This prologue is dedicated to JamieMc for suggesting to me what a real prologue is suppose to be all about. Thanks again! XD

Vote/Comment/Follow me! XD

-Erin