»5. Quicksand«

Silvia's P.O.V.

When did the lies stop?

When did the truth start?

When did things stop being fake? Where they ever real?

Was...was any of it real?

A million questions race through my thoughts as Pierson maneuvered us out of the party and to the front yard. Reality didn't hit me—not entirely—until the cold, crisp December air chilled my lungs. I was hoping for my breathing to stop—I wanted it all to come to a stop—but the white clouds continued to form outside of my mouth. This was my life. This wasn't completely constructed in the darkest corner of my mind. As much as I wanted this to be a mere nightmare, the goosebumps running up my arm told me that I wasn't in a dream world. My secrets, at least some of them, were about to be exposed to a lot of my schoolmates. And with Finn in possession of that tape, I knew there wouldn't be an end to this torment.

"C'mon, let's go," Pierson said, heading toward his car.

I yanked my arm out of his reach. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

The keys rattled in his hands, shivering from the cold. "Silvia, we can't stay here."

"You can leave, but I'm not getting in the car with you." I pivoted, hugging myself and tugging at the zipper of Gabriel's jacket. "I'm going to walk home."

"You're being ridiculous." He sneered. "After that stunt in there, I'm not the one you should be having trust issues with."

I spun back around. "Is that true? I don't know that right now, Pierson. Everything is up in the air. From what I can see, people around here are getting shadier by the damn minute."

"Silvia," his eyes went ablaze, narrowing down at me as he stepped up to me. "I was among the few who came to your aid when that asshole fucked with your feelings the first time. Look in my face and tell me everything I did for you was meaningless."

I slammed my eyes shut, inhaling through my nostrils. I try to compose myself, give grace to an ungraceful moment, but the attempt was lost on me. My voice came out weak and laced with emotion. "I'm going to ask you a question, Pierson. Answer it honestly."

"Of course." He said quickly.

I was on the verge of tears. "Are you a part of SEGG?"

There was a painstaking pause. The world, and everything in it, froze in that silent moment and so did my breathing.

My eyes fluttered open. His mouth was ajar, working out which lie to spew my way. "If you can't answer that, then this friendship is over." I turned back around—in the direction of my house—and started walking. Just as fast as I had moved away from him, he caught up with me and grabbed my elbow, making me come to a stop.

"Wait." He sighed, dropping his gaze to the concert. "I was not a part of SEGG when you arrived to Crescent High."

"That's not answering the question."

"Let me finish," he pleaded. "I wasn't a part of it because I found their tactics to be tacky and borderline psychopathic."

"Borderline," I scoffed. "That's a kind remark."

"That's what I thought before. Before tonight." He moved his hand from my elbow to my hand, holding on to me tightly. "But now, after what I saw Finn do to you—or tried to do—at the party, I know that I'll never associate myself with them every again."

"You still haven't answered the question, Redmond."

"I'm getting to that part, Ellington." He flashed a smile. A small one, but it was a smile regardless. Taking in a deep breath, he said. "I joined SEGG because of you."