CHAPTER SIX: Zack

Zack sat at his desk staring at Hope's latest email. A reply to the invitation he'd spent an evening and a morning agonizing over. An invitation he'd thought she'd never take him up on. Initially, she'd said maybe...someday soon...we'll see. The time wasn't right. She was swamped at work. He'd understood about her brother and the job that apparently kept her busy.

Dear Zack...spring in Texas and a ride with you sound heavenly, but I don't own a white dress and it's been forever since I rode just for fun. I do however have lots of vacation time coming and sooner is definitely better.

I realize this isn't just a vacation. I know you want to see if there's something more between us than just emails and I'd really like to find out too. I suppose, like you, I wish we'd done this by phone because I'm not too good with words either.

I'm afraid I had a bad day and my impetuous side got the better of me. I already bought a ticket and made car reservations but couldn't find a hotel in Bluebonnet. Could you maybe find one for me?

I can't wait to hug you in person and meet Travis and his new puppy.

He wondered at her change of heart but he wasn't about to tell her, "No, don't come." As much as he wanted to meet her, there would be no keeping her visit a secret. Not in Bluebonnet. He'd figured he'd deal with it if or when it happened and now it was happening. She was coming. For real, even. Smiling to himself, he debated whether to call her right then or not but Travis made the decision for him.

Zack glanced down at the feel of a hand on his sleeve and blew out the bubble of excitement and tension Hope's news had created. "What's up, buddy?"

"Let's read." He held up a tattered copy of Goodnight Moon,a hopeful smile on his face.

"Is it that time already?" he asked, turning in his chair and giving Dixie a scratch behind her ears before picking Travis up.

"Uh-huh. Yes, sir."

He smiled at the 'sir' that came out sounding more like 'sew'. He trotted down the hall to the bathroom and they brushed their teeth and washed their faces together.

Then he tucked his son under the denim coverlet and stretched out beside him on the twin-size bed. With the puppy at their feet, they read the book for the million-and-first time then moved on to Green Eggs and Ham. And while they read, Zack tried to find a way to break the news to Travis that they were having company. In the end he decided to wait.

Zack lay stroking his son's sable head until he drifted off, then eased off the bed.

"You got guard duty." He gave Dixie another scratch then paused long enough to rub her belly when she rolled over. In the hallway he left the door cracked so she could wander and headed for his studio where he grabbed his phone and padded back up the hall to get Hope's phone number.

One more read-through of her email and he punched in her number. He got so caught up in his nerves he almost missed her soft, husky hello when she picked up.

"Hope, it's Zack." Oh, that was brilliant. He swallowed the groan that rose up in his throat and plowed forward. "How are you? Did I wake you?"

"N-no. I was just doing some p-packing." She'd gone from husky to breathy and he didn't miss the tremor in her voice. "You did get my email...obviously, or you couldn't have called me?" she added with a soft, nervous sounding chuckle.

He took the fact she could laugh at herself as a good sign and forced himself to relax, easing back in the chair. "Yeah, I did."

"Is there a problem? Is this a bad time for me to come?"