EPILOGUE

Zack and I wandered around the large, airy hall accepting congratulations from everyone. I wore a white dress, though it was nothing like the one he'd mentioned sketching me in in one of those early emails, and he wore a suit and tie. As did Travis.

"You nervous?" he whispered, his hand at the base of my spine.

I nodded and shook another hand, then blew out a heavy breath at the sight of my father coming toward me. "Yes."

"I am so proud of you, honey." Daddy leaned in for a hug, but it was brief. Of course I knew he was proud of me, but our relationship would never be like what I had with Jerrod and Maggie, and I'd made peace with that. If I'd learned anything over the last six months, I'd learned to let go and just accept what was.

My family was here—and by family I meant not just my dad and step-mom and siblings, but my aunts from Louisiana and Kane and a whole slew of cousins I'd never even met, and of course, Zack's family. My new girl cousins had been coming up to me, squealing and hugging my neck all afternoon. Zack just watched and laughed and shook his head.

It was all very surreal as a smiling attendant tapped me on the arm.

"It's time, Ms. Stratton."

I followed her to the front of the room, Zack's hand clutched in my sweaty one, as we weaved through clusters of people. I only reluctantly let it go when I reached the stairs. I turned back to look at him one last time.

"I love you," he mouthed.

"I love you, too," I said and climbed the short set of stairs as the woman at the podium began to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen,welcome to the Cowgirl Hall of Fame. We're so honored you could be with ustonight as we welcome our newest member."