Atlantis Tide Breaker, Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Games People Play

The next day, the Lifeguard Games began with all the pageantry of the Olympics. Okay, maybe not all the pageantry, but close. This was my first year competing, but I wasn’t excited or nervous. All my thoughts centered on finding Gill and telling him what I’d discovered.

Flags of red, yellow, and green fluttered in the strong breeze. Dark clouds hovered overhead threatening rain. But at least no lightning had been spotted. Hopefully, they wouldn’t have to put off the games again.

A line of contestants formed on stage. The first competition of whistle blowing began. The Lifeguard Games were based on events designed to enhance and showcase lifeguard skill, but there were a few silly competitions as well. This was one of them.

A female lifeguard from an inland town stood in front of the microphone and blew “Taps” out of her whistle. The crowd went wild.

Then a lifeguard from Mermaid Beach stepped up and whistled the theme from “Baywatch,” an old television show featuring southern California lifeguards. The tune got a chuckle from the crowd.

Normally, I’d enjoy this type of event, but today nothing would make me happier than finding Gill.

He tapped me on the shoulder. “Do you have the nautilus?”

His brisk tone made my skin bristle. After the kiss we’d shared, I’d expected him to be warmer. Instead his hard tone, turned my happy into mad.

I shifted to face him. “No hello?”

He wore his standard blue board shorts and swim shirt. His damp hair appeared messier than usual.

“Hello.” His cold tone sent a shiver of warning through my spine.  

Something was wrong. “What’s going on?”

First confirmation, then confusion lit his eyes. “Why?”

I leaned back and studied him. The lines on his face appeared deeper. His tan seemed paler. And his tone had been blunt. “You have this look about you. Determined.”

His Adam’s apple moved up and down. “I’ve been ordered to return to Atlantis today with the nautilus.”

My insides shriveled, shrinking and crinkling and drying like dust. Possibly because Gill had represented my connection to Atlantis and to Maris. Or maybe because even though we hadn’t spoken of our feelings I believed something deep lay between us. I’d believed it since we’d met this summer.

I didn’t know if I should express any of those feelings. He’d given me no reason to hope for something more. Just because we’d kissed a couple of times, and the kisses meant everything to me, didn’t mean he’d felt the same.

I was parched of affection from Gill. Hurt by his uncaring attitude. Worried about his future. But I couldn’t express any of this.

Maybe he believed I’d just enjoy our time together and not think about a future. It would be best if he believed this. Better for my ego. I didn’t want him to think I’d be pining away for him.

Straightening my shoulders, I decided to get tough. My toughness came out in sarcasm. “At least you’re saying goodbye this time.”

“Yes.” He swallowed hard. “Can I have the nautilus.”

He wasn’t really saying goodbye. He’d just come to get the nautilus. Pulling his usual routine by taking what he wants. From me.

The string bag felt heavy on my back. I should just let him take the shell and crawl back into the ocean. Let him figure out the stupid cipher by himself.