Atlantis Tide Breaker Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Wave Washout

My heart twisted watching Gill struggle against the goons. He was strong, but two against one wasn’t fair. My belly cramped and curled. My muscles tightened. Adrenaline surged. Not thinking, I rushed toward them.

“Gill!” My scream ripped through the air.

All three of the guys stopped like I’d hit a pause button. Gill’s expression went from determined to fearful. Fearful for me. His mouth opened to yell something, but it was too late.

One of the attackers with long, scraggly hair and a beard covered Gill’s lips.

The other attacker wrapped a muscular arm around Gill’s neck. A small tattoo showed on the guy’s left shoulder. He dragged Gill toward the ocean.

They must be Atlanteans, too. Royalists or Separatists? Good Royalists or bad Royalists?

All the possibilities mixed in my head like a DNA sequence. Who they were didn’t matter. What mattered was saving Gill.

Running past a campfire ring, I scooped up a charred two-by-four. A weapon. Approaching, my feet slowed.

I raised the board over my shoulder. My arms shook with the weight and the tension. “Let him go.”

The two attackers laughed. The deep, hollow sound ground in my gut making me believe I would be no help. Worthless.

“I said let him go.” I forced my voice to sound stronger.

The waves got louder, larger.

“Isn’t that sweet.” The tattooed attacker let go of Gill and took a menacing step forward. Toward me.

My knees danced to the beat of fear, but I refused to step backwards. I would not show them my panic.

“Mmmmhmmm,” Gill mumbled. His eyes dimmed with dread and anger—at me. The look he shot went straight to my heart.

The shot pierced and my chest clutched with pain, but I stayed strong. I held the board high.

Gill bit the hairy attacker’s hand. The attacker screamed and let go of Gill’s mouth.

“Go!” Gill lifted his heel back and kicked.

“Ouf.” Hairy’s arms slackened. His face paled and he bent at the waist.

Gill twisted his shoulders shaking the hold. “Tori, run!”

My instincts froze. I wanted to turn and run. It would be the smart thing to do, but something about Gill made me not so smart.

The reality-check slapped hard.

“Forget her.” Hairy recovered from the kick enough to grab hold of Gill again. “Let’s get him and go.”

Even though all my limbs shook, I raised the board higher. “No.” I yelled to be heard over the pounding surf.

“What’re you going to do about it, Blondie?” The tattooed attacker’s tone scraped like gravel on skin. He moved back toward Gill and grabbed his legs lifting him off the ground.

A sound like thunder or a freight train or an atomic explosion roared. A shadow covered the area around us. Covered me.

I looked up. Gasped.

There were no clouds in the sky.

A humongous wave rolled over the top of us. The blue-ish-green tint covered the sky like an art deco ceiling. The blood in my veins raced like its own personal tsunami. My head lightened and swirled.