Chapter 10: Rearrange

Part Two

Through the Silence

"Broken wing, empty glass.

Words that scream and bounce right back

She says, 'You know, we all like to rearrange.'

I wish I could fix you,

And make you how I want you.

Wish I could fix you,

And I wish you could fix me."

- The Offspring

Chapter 10: Rearrange

Christmas and New Years passed by, and before I knew it, school was starting again.

I stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, brows creasing at my reflection. My blonde hair had grown out to below my shoulder blades, where Stacia had cut it off yesterday because the black had been fading into a dark, washed-out brown. I was wearing plain black skinny jeans and a thick green, thanks to my recent shopping expedition with Stacia. Compared to what I looked like at the beginning of the year, I had made major changes to my appearance.

"Come on!" Stacia yelled. "We'll be late!"

I grabbed my backpack and made my way to the kitchen, where Mrs. Westford was drinking coffee.

"Good morning, Callan." She smiled. I smiled and bid her a soft good morning. After the initial shock of my speach coming back had faded, I became a little shy again.

"We should get going," Stacia said, tossing me a breakfast bar and a juice box.

"Really?" I said, holding the items up with a laugh.

"Yeah! I love breakfast bars!" She said, pushing me out by the door while yelling a hasty goodbye to her mother.

We drove to school in comfortable silence. This was one of the things that made her my best friend. We could joke and laugh and talk till way past midnight, but she knew when I needed my space. Right now I was a little stressed, and she knew nothing would ease my nerves, so instead she let my mind wander. And it wandered back to the same, stupid questions.

What will I do when I see Nixon?

What will happen to Stacia?

Where was Megan?

Will I ever heal from the scars that my father left on my skin, mind and soul?

I didn't know the answer to any one of these questions. Nixon hadn't made contact again after the time he called Stacia's house. Stacia acted like nothing was wrong although I knew inside she was going crazy. I had gone to my house in the short vacation on a Monday morning to find it empty. And me? I felt useless, despite the fact that I stood up to my father and started speaking again.

We pulled into the school parking lot, and we were enveloped by a mass of cheerleaders (all except Bianca) asking about the photo. Since the photo had been sent to everyone on the Friday that school closed, no one had gotten their questions answered. This was mostly due to the fact that Stacia had turned her phone off after changing her voicemail to say that she was in Florida for Christmas. We had spent the vacation alone, enjoying the sollitude of each other's company.

"Girls, where have you been? We've been worried sick!" Yolinda said, pushing through the crowd and pulling both Stacia and I into a bone-crushing hug. She let us go before turning to Stacia. "We know you didn't send that photo, Stace, and I think I know who did."

Stacia's face turned papery pale. "Ye-yeah." She stuttered slightly. She pulled herself together and stood up straighter. "But where did they get it? It didn't look like it was taken in the locker room."