Chapter Seventeen

"Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips, we should just kiss like real people do"
-Hozier

Alice

I rang the doorbell, not quite comfortable with just walking in like Eli did the first time I came here. I looked around the neighborhood while I waited for him to answer the door.

It was exactly as I remembered it. Kids and parents playing, couples strolling, it was perfect. The only strange part was the occasional glances that people would send me.

Maybe I was dressed wrong. I looked down at my outfit. Dark jeans, loose gray sweater, knee high boots. My eyebrows furrowed, I didn't think I looked bad. The door opened.

He looked breathtaking. Black slacks hung on his hips and a blue dress shirt adorned his torso. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows and the top few buttons were undone. A grin broke out on Pen- Julian's face.

"Hi," he greeted.
"Hi."  Oh god, my awkward is showing. I didn't know how I was supposed to act right now. This man had lied to me. Should I be mad? Upset?

"Come in Alice," he stood to the side and I slipped through the door. "I know I have explaining to do. I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to do so," he stared deep into my eyes. "Thank you Alice."

I looked away from his intense gaze. "Please explain," I spoke. P- Julian sighed.
"Come to the kitchen, I don't want anything to burn," he sounded so defeated that I almost caved in and forgave him right then. Almost.

I sat down on a bar stool while Penn went to the stove to stir something. "I guess I should start with my name," he glanced back to see if I was listening. I was.

"My full name is Julian Penn Castel. I'm twenty six, I own a company, Castel Industries, and I like guacamole." I smiled at that bit. "When we first met I didn't want you to treat me like all my employees, or the people in this neighborhood do. They all tiptoe around me and I didn't want you to do that. I want us to be friends, equals." He looked serious. "That's why I told you to call me Penn. That and I don't particularly like my first name. I'm sorry I lied to you Alice," he walked over and stood next to me, catching my hand in his. "I swear to never lie to you again Alice. Just please forgive me, I can't live knowing that you hate me." Penn sounded so defeated, I had to take pity on the man.

"I could never hate you Penn," I whispered. "Or should I call you Julian?" A lazy smirk plastered itself on my face.

He grinned and pulled me into a tight hug, he smelled like trees. "To you it's Penn," his voice was soft in my ear, it sent a shivers down my back. The good kind.

Penn pulled away just enough to look at me, his hands remained on my waist. "Thank you for forgiving me sweetheart," he whispered.

"You're welcome," my voice was just as quiet as his. He leaned closer. His eyes glanced down at my lips for a second before snapping up to meet mine.

His leaned closer. His lips were just an inch away. Oh god, was he going to kiss me? Did I want him to?

His forehead rested against mine, our lips were impossibly close. His eyes were a vortex of indecipherable emotions.

Yes. I definitely wanted him to kiss me. He leaned even closer. Our lips were about to touch-

The doorbell rang.

I jumped away from him and took a deep breath, unaware that I had been holding my breath this whole time. Penn pulled away, looking equal parts disappointed and irritated.