Demons Together

"Wanna grab a bite at that new pizza place?"

Tom looked up to see Max's face poking out from behind the door. He shook his head, returning to strumming his guitar.

"So do you want me to grab you anything?"

"Nope." Tom replied with a single answer, creating an awkward silence.

"Umm... You sure?"

Tom nodded, mentally wishing for Max to leave.

"Alright," Max said. "See you later."

The door closed with a silent thud and Tom sighed in relief.

Finally, he thought. Since he had arrived, Tom realised that he was getting too chummy with his roommate and his group of friends. This wasn't supposed to happen! The plan was to get through this last year of college without any friendships or relationships to slow him down. He was so set on following the plan, but now... look at him. So he decided to stop while he still could. He would distance himself away from the others as much as possible so that he could focus on getting through the year. It was going to be hard, but he was going to try.

On the other side of the door, Max was wondering what had gotten into his roommate. After all the progress, it seemed like Tom was returning to his former self, which was the last thing Max wanted. He didn't know what happened. Something had changed in Tom's mind and Max was determined to fix it.

~

The next day, after a lecture, Max went up to Tom and asked, "Hey we're all going to the Lounge afterwards. Wanna join us?" After some thought, he added, "You look like you need it."

With a shake of his head, Tom answered, "You guys go ahead. You don't need me to spoil the fun." And before Max could stop him, he walked off, leaving Max with his mouth wide open. 

Why the hell was Tom acting so weird, Max had no clue. He was perfectly fine a couple of weeks ago, and now, this. There had to be something wrong; no one could change so drastically.

Tom, on the other hand, was getting increasingly annoyed. Why could Max just let him be? Wasn't it obvious? He just had to make friends. Now, it would be almost impossible to escape them now. He would have to just keep up this act and soon or later they would have to drift away. He could do it, if he could take all the stress. 

~

It was on a Sunday when Tom finally broke.

He was in his room, doing some research when Max, like always, poked his head in around the door. He was just about to say something when it happened.

Tom turned around and threw his hands up in frustration, shouting. "Why can't you just leave me alone?!"

He turned back to his desk, rubbing his temples. He had expected Max to just leave, but he didn't. Instead, Max stormed in. 

"What the fuck?" He shouted back, standing right by the desk. "What the fuck is up with you Tom?!"

"Nothing!" Tom could only sigh. "I... I just need some space..."

Max stayed exactly where he was. "Well then, too bad, because I'm not leaving until I get an explanation." He sat down on the bed, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. "Why are you trying to push us away?"

"Because I don't need people in my life who are just going to backstab and betray me!"

"What?" Max's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "We would never do that..."

"Really?" Tom scoffed. "Because that's what I always think before they go ahead and do it anyway!"

After a few seconds of silence, Max asked, "Why do you think we would lie to you?"