Echo of the Animal

Glancing at the crumpled piece of paper in his hand, Tom made sure he was in the right direction. He pushed past the groups of students gathering in the hallways, hugging his bags close to his body. He turned the volume up of his headphones, drowning out the noises and focusing on finding his room.

3-10... 3-11... 3-12... 3-13! Tom fumbled with the bags as he opened the door. Once inside, the first thing that hit him was the strong smell of cologne with hints of beer and pizza.

Putting down his bags, he examined the room. The main living area was generally clean, along with the kitchen which had a few old dishes in the sink. There were two other doors, one of which was surely to his own room. The other had the classic "Do not enter unless important" sign on it, which lead Tom to only guess who his roommate was.

As he shut the door behind him, Tom heard another door open. Lifting his head up, he saw his roommate step out and walk over.

"Hi, you must be Tom." His roommate smiled as he stuck out his hand. "I'm Max."

Out of courtesy, Tom gave him a brief shake, gathering up his bags. Max, who was still nearby, asked, "Do you need help?"

"It's fine." Tom dragged the bags into his room and locked the door before Max could ask him anything else.

He plopped down onto the standard issue bed, glancing at the plain hardwood desk and closet. Setting up his stuff, Tom couldn't help but wonder why his roommate looked so familiar. He was sure had never met him before. Was he an old childhood friend or something? He wasn't sure.

Putting his books away, he fished out the finance magazine he was reading this morning. He flipped over to the article he had stopped at, the one about future heirs to big companies. Glancing through, Tom didn't think much of it until one picture made him stop.

The man in the picture was a young twenty something. He had a shaven head, with greenish grey eyes that relayed pure importance. He was in a two piece tailored suit, looking dashing from head to toe, but there was no denying it. The man in the picture was the man living right across the room.

Maximillian Alberto George. Future heir of one of the most successful sporting goods business in the world. And Tom's roommate. What were the odds?

Anybody would have been immediately star struck and gone over for an autograph. Tom, on the other hand, sighed at his misfortune. Max George was known for being a party animal and joker, never serious about his father's business. There were plenty of scandals surrounding him, and Tom had just the best luck to get him, out of all the students possible, as a roommate.

It's just one year. Tom reminded himself. You can get through this.

A soft knock broke him out his thoughts. His door opened and Max popped out from behind. "Hey, I could show you around the campus if you like... I know you're new and all so..."

Tom didn't want to. He really didn't. He hated being the new kid and hated being treated as one even more. But this was a completely new place to him, with different people and different rules. Plus, it wouldn't hurt if he got on the good side of a future CEO...

"Sure, why not?"

XXXXXXXXXX

"And this... is the field." Max gestured to the huge expanse of green lawn in front of them, spotted with tiny groups, either of new students or with reunited ones. There were plenty of trees for shade, as well as tables for comfortable seating, but many chose to sit on the grass and in the sun.

From where they stood, Tom could feel eyes on him. This was why he hated being the new meat. People kept staring, but was it because of him or the person next to him?