Epilogue

Epilogue

The year was 721 AD. It was spring, her favorite season.

Rosalina breathed in the air deeply, smelling scents from miles around. She would never grow old of this--the ability to sense things far away. She turned to mention it to her sister, yet stopped when she saw Nicola staring down at the ring on her finger. Rosalina looked forward again, watching the Mikaelson's on their horses ahead of them. 

Klaus' horse dragged a cart behind him, and in the bottom under a false end lay their brother's staked corpse. Rebekah rode beside him, Finn beside her, and Elijah on Klaus' other side. Rosalina and Nicola rode behind them, staying alert for travelers. 

"Asia. It sounds exciting." Rebekah mused, looking to Klaus. "Why are we going that way?"

"Because I hear there's something we need over there." He replied. "We'll send Rosalina and Nicola in first to gather information on it's whereabouts, then we'll move in."

Rosalina frowned, glancing at her sister again. She was alone, it seemed. While she could still confide in her sister, Nicola was always distant, emotions never attached to anything she did. She killed as Klaus asked, searched as he wanted, hunted for his pleasure. She never questioned it. And Rosalina understood why.

Klaus had told them at the beginning that if either of them ever tried to rebel or run away, he would kill the other. With that threat looming over their heads, they did as he asked without question. Even, sometimes, keeping secrets from his siblings. Rosalina thought they knew more about Klaus' true motives than even Elijah.

Yet, even with this explanation, Rosalina knew it was more than that. Nicola had just given up. And though she would never admit it, she knew it was because of Kleon. The guilt of turning him and leaving his was eating at her,leaving her this shallow shell of the vibrant and confident person she used to be.

They were hunters now, Rosalina reminded herself, and that was how it was meant to stay for the rest of time.

All she wished for was to see her sister happy again.