Chapter One

Bare feet flew through the grass, seemingly without touching the ground. Sunlight sifted through the trees, casting spots of brightness that caught their tunics as they ran by. Slowing to a stop near the edge of the tree line, the two girls watched the herd of deer only thirty yards off.

"A miracle they haven't smelled us yet." The younger one whispered, voice almost as silent as the breeze.

A smirk spread across the other's face. "Or we're just that good."

Her elbow and arm raised, bringing the bow and arrow up to her face. "Go." She whispered, and her younger companion took off around the forest line. Suddenly, as if on cue, a crack resounded across the clearing, sending the deer racing across the clearing and towards the girl with a bow. She smiled again, and arrow after arrow went flying into the herd, causing them to panic and scatter, yet that didn't phase her one bit. 

After thirty seconds, the meadow was clear, save for the deer that had fallen prey to her arrows.

"Nic! That was your best yet!" The younger girl came running into the clearing from her original spot. "I don't think we'll even be able to carry them all back!" 

Nicola stepped forward, out of the shadow of the trees, smiling. "All eight, all through the eye. The cook will love that." She looked to her companion. "Come along, Rosie. Let's go get Kleon and a few of his men to help us take them back to our home."

The girls each grabbed two legs of the nearest deer and set off back towards the city, unknowingly being watched. Two men stepped from the shadows, watching the girls laugh with each other.

"Amazing hunters…and sisters on top of that. What do you think of that?" One said to the other with a naughty smile. The other stared at the deer on the ground, contemplating.

"Dear brother, I think we've got our work cut out for us."

"It's been a while since we've had people come visit from the German territories." 

Two men walked down the long marble hall, the elder in traditional Roman senatorial robes, and the younger in Germanic dress. 

"Well, my brothers and I have taken an interest in a possible union between our empires." The younger replied, accent thick and voice seemingly older than he appeared.

"Oh? And what would that be?" The older man asked, halting alongside the entryway into the dining hall. 

"Senator Carvagi…Rufus." He stopped as well, adopting a pleading look. "Our attentions have been captured by your daughter. Her beauty as well as her skill have led us to believe that through marriage, such a union could aid in your failing empire." 

"My daughter? Nicola?" He turned. "Well, this wasn't the marriage proposal I was hoping would come for her."

"Ah, sorry, sire, I meant the younger one. Rosalina." 

"Rosalina? Niklaus, are you sure?" Rufus turned, his grey hair catching the sunlight. "Nicola is by far the better huntress. However, if you are after beauty, I guess she does have more of her mother's likeness."

Niklaus smiled. "I'm positive sire. I am enrapt with her charm. However, I do wish to court her, as your people do. Perhaps a celebration is in order?" His pupils enlarged as he stared Rufus in the eye, making the old man pause.

"Yes…a celebration does seem to be in order." Rufus blinked a couple times and turned, marching into the dining hall.  "I shall prepare a feast!" 

Klaus smiled to himself, following Rufus into the hall. Rufus was shouting orders at the servants left and right, telling them to move tables and send out invitations.