Chapter Twenty-Two: The Law Drops In

The Law Drops In

We got back to Blackwater in record time, but when I spotted the police cruiser parked in one of the shop’s spaces, I wished we’d taken the scenic route instead.

“Uh…Dante,” I started to say.

“Stay cool, Eliza,” he warned, pulling his truck alongside the white and brown sedan parked in the only other designated space for Emporium customers. Dante turned the ignition off and gave me a final look as he placed his hand on his driver’s side door. “I’ll handle this. You’ll just say something stupid or inappropriate, so keep your mouth shut and try to look like you’re working. Got it?”

I nodded, much too nervous by the presence of local law enforcement to protest his ridiculous (yet undoubtedly accurate) assessment of my behavior whenever cops were concerned.

Dante pushed on the door handle and got out. I followed right behind, slamming the door and making my way to the front of the shop a step behind him. Sheriff Sutter was standing there, his hands on his heavy belt watching as we approached.

I could see where he’d placed his hands and face on the frosted glass of the door to peer inside looking for someone. Before leaving town, Dante had turned off all the lights and locked everything up tight. I was glad for it. The inside of the store was still a hot mess. Besides not being able to explain what looked like a bomb going off, I didn’t want any of the cursed objects leaving the store before we’d found a way to get rid of Celeste’s taint.  

“Afternoon, Sheriff,” Dante called out just as we reached him.

“Dante,” he replied and inclined his head.

Sheriff Sutter was average height, with skinny shoulders and spoke like he had something stuffed on the inside of one cheek. He wore a tan uniform that was nearly the same shade as his police cruiser, with a wide black strip down the side of each pant leg. His black shoes looked square and heavy but they were polished to a high shine. He didn’t have a large brimmed hat covering his well trimmed brown hair, which I found a little surprising. Weren’t big, cowboy style police hats a legal requirement around here? 

His eyes flickered over to me, his steely gaze sizing me up through the light brown of his aviator sunglasses for a long moment.

“You must be one of Celeste Devillier’s relation,” he finally said.  

It wasn’t a question.

I nodded but stayed just behind Dante trying to make myself as invisible as possible. I still didn’t trust cops as far as I could pitch one and country cops were no different, hat or no.

“She’s one of Celeste’s great nieces from out east,” Dante explained, jerking a thumb back at me.

Sheriff Sutter turned and talked to Dante like I wasn’t even there anymore. “No kiddin’? How far east we talkin’ ‘bout?”

“New York City.” I could hear the eye roll in Dante’s voice even if I couldn’t see it. “Leave it to Celeste to run off and leave me in charge of training some Yankee newbie,” he said acting put out. His voice had taken on the easy inflection of most of the people who lived in Blackwater, which made him sound relaxed as he stepped forward to unlock the shop door. “Is there something I can help you find today, Sheriff?”

“Just a few questions is all. Got a minute to spare?”

“Course, sheriff,” he nodded, pushing open the door and waving the officer inside.