28

A/N: So, this is the last chapter of this book. It's a bit rushed, but I've been really busy lately and haven't had the time to...well...take my time and make it as perfect as I can. But if you're going to continue reading this story in the next book, keep this book in your library and wait for my update! :)

___

Despite the fact that Emma had promised herself that she'd lay off classes for the next week and a half, instead, she found herself doing nothing but homework and studying. All she could think about was the last thing she had ever said to her Mum, not letting her know just how much she loved her, and never having the opportunity to do so, all it did was worsen the pain that she knew time would not heal, but teach her to deal with.

Harry and Ginny were now the talk of the school for the next few weeks, even though many Slytherin's had not let go of what he'd done to one of their own. Emma was happy for them, mostly for the fact that she felt OK to leave her common room now, happy to occupy herself with anything and everything. 

Draco was back on his feet, quiet and secretive, and not giving any hints that he wanted to talk to anybody. All he did was sulk and sneer at everybody who dared to cast a glance his way, knowing full well that all they wanted was to ask him about what Harry had done. Not much of him was seen lately, and it was enough to think that he was still in the hospital wing recovering. 

Emma had never enjoyed schoolwork this much before, and when she told Harry, Ron and Hermione when they asked how she was and she told them what she had been up to and doing to keep herself busy, Hermione beamed while Ron looked, horrified, between Emma and Hermione. 

"Not another one," he whined. "Hermione, did you suggest that she -?"

"She was perfectly capable of coming up with the distraction herself, Ronald," Hermione gritted, not looking at him. 

"Well, as long as you're all right," said Harry, the moment Ginny had appeared out of nowhere and stood next to him. "And...we're around..." he added pointedly. 

"I know," Emma said quietly, stepping aside as they headed off. "Thanks."

"Why don't you hang out with us?" Ginny suggested, looking over her shoulder. 

Emma shook her head. "I've got...things."

And by things, they all knew she meant studying, focusing hard on any and every word to keep from thinking about the woman who had raised her. Harry was not having any of it, and he shook his head and hugged Emma tight, and all it did was make her want to cry even more. It went like this even as June had arrived, studying late at night and if she had nothing to study for she'd stay up late reading a book, and she went to bed every night with her head throbbing with pain. 

One particular night, when Emma had finally been able to fall asleep after what felt like years of having trouble to do so, her eyes shot open at the sound of ruckus coming from inside the castle. Bangs and screaming and what sounded like debris falling from the roof. Pansy shot up from her bed at the sounds, and she looked around, squinting, before she fell back down to sleep. 

"Pansy!" Emma hissed. "Pansy, wake up!"

Pansy snored purposely. 

"What's all that noise?" Daphne groaned, turning in her bed and pulling her blanket over her head. 

Emma did not answer; she shoved her socks and shoes on her feet and quickly put on clothes that weren't pajamas and went out into the dungeons. She nearly flinched back into the wall when she saw Snape's office door burst open and Hermione sticking her bushy head out of it, looking absolutely terrified.