14

"Draco," Emma said quietly. She didn't know what the hell to do. Zacharias was whimpering incoherent words while Draco was growling, shoving him harder and harder against the wall. "Draco, please - stop. Let's just go. I don't want you to get in trouble."

Where the hell was her wand? She remembered a spell that Madam Hooch used on Draco, Harry and George last year when they were fighting after one of the Quidditch matches. Emma darted for her wand the moment she spotted it under the seat.

"Mr Malfoy!" a voice shrieked, and Emma stood up quickly after grabbing her wand. Professor McGonagall was moving as quickly as she could down the corridor. She used her own wand to project the Shield Charm between the two boys. Zacharias grunted when Draco was shoved away by the shield, and he rubbed his throat and chest area soothingly. "What on earth is this nonsense?"

"Are you mad?!" Zacharias yelled, still rubbing his chest. "Did you see that, Professor? Did you see what he-?"

"Yes, Mr Smith, I obviously -"

"You just stay away!" Draco bellowed back, shoving a finger into the shield. "Stay the hell away!"

"You will join me, Malfoy, for detention while all your classmates visit Hogsmeade," said Professor McGonagall sternly. "You also have overdue homework. Now will you calmly tell me what the meaning of this is?"

Draco didn't say anything, only glared daggers through the shield at Zacharias, who looked just as challenged now that Draco couldn't get to him. Emma reached over and softly took Draco by the arm to back him away. 

"Very well, Malfoy," the Tranfiguration teacher went on, fixing her glasses perched on her nose. "I will see you tomorrow for detention. You as well, Smith."

"Wha-!?" Zacharias started, but was cut off by Professor McGonagall.

"Oh - and before I forget, fifty points will be taken from Slytherin and Hufflepuff."

"What about her?" Zacharias jabbed a finger in Emma's direction. "She gets detention, too, doesn't she? She - she just watched it all happen!"

Draco moved to lunge at the shield but was forced away. 

"Mr Smith," started the teacher in a very sharp, stern voice. She pointed her wand down at the end of the corridor. "You will proceed down that way. Go."

Zacharias reluctantly left after giving Draco and Emma a very nasty look. 

"And you two, down that way."

Emma and Draco were forced to leave down the opposite side of the corridor, and were met with the Entrance Hall.

The following day, Emma did not follow Daphne to Hogsmeade simply because she was accompanying Pansy and the beady-eyed seventh year who still had yet to reveal her name. Unfortunately, while Emma waited in the common room for any familiar faces that belonged to anyone that she liked in the slightest, Astoria thought it would be wise to keep her company. 

"I get it now, you know - what you guys were groaning on about in your fifth-year. It's a handful but - oh is that a scar on your hand? When did you get that and what is it from? Oh, never mind. I remember overhearing you going on about a snake over the summer. So, I heard about what happened between you, Draco and Zacharias Smith and what Draco did for you. That Smith has been going around giving different stories here and there, but everyone gets the gist."

"Funny, you accidentally overhear a lot of things, huh?" Emma grumbled, her ears tired of hearing Astoria's voice. When the girl was lonely she could be an earful, much like her sister.