Realization - III

If Eli ran the whole way back to Brimonhive, he was sure he'd make it there and back before sunset. He was just glad he had good stamina and didn't tire too easy. Jogging down the front steps of the manor, Eli came to an abrupt stop when his name was called out.

"Elijah," it was the silver haired butler, "Come along with me, I'll take you in the stagecoach. You'll never make it back before the sun makes its descent."

Eli honestly thought he could pull off the task of running, but the butler appeared genuine, and the offer was awfully kind. After giving a nod, he waited by the stagecoach for a couple minutes until the butler came back from around the side of the house with a pure white horse. When the butler had everything in place, he opened the side door of the stagecoach and gestured for Eli to get in.

The interior was flawless with two burgundy red cushioned benches facing one another, and drapes over the small rectangular windows. Privacy at its best.

They were on the bumpy ride back to Brimonhive now, not moving as fast as Eli would've hoped a coach could go, but they were getting along fine. He peered out the window after a while, noticing the slight change of color in the sky. It was getting darker. When they reached the edge of Brimonhive, the coach slowed and Eli got out. "I won't be long," he called to the butler. From there, he ran the rest of the way, dodging kids playing with domesticated dogs, large carts moving along, and scattering chickens loose in the street.

After racing down the woodland path, he reached his childhood home. The dull structure took on a more depressing look, what with the image of the Young Master's manor still in his mind. The small place looked more like an outhouse rather than a place suitable for living, but he was sure any noble household had that effect on people.

"Mother!" Eli called, bursting through the door, "Father, I got the position!"

They were in the front room, his father stacking firewood along the wall while his mother rocked Ava to sleep in the chair. "That's fantastic," his mother cheered, "What's the nobleman like, huh?"

Eli shrugged a shoulder, "He is a lot younger than I expected, around my age, though. And I can't lie, he is quick-tempered."

His father stood upright, rolling his stiff shoulders, "Well, I am sure you can handle him. Just don't make any of your smartarse remarks and do as he says. If you do that, I'm sure you'll be able to keep this job." He furrowed his brow, "How did you make it back here so fast?"

"Hopped a ride first class," He peered out the window a moment towards the sky. "But I have to make it back before the sun goes down or I'm fired."

Eli's mother's eyes just about popped out of their sockets. She kept her voice down to not wake Ava, "What are you doing here?"

"He was generous enough to allow me to say goodbye to you all. I'm not too sure when I'll see you next, what with living in the servant's quarters while I'm there."

"Right," his mother pouted and rose steadily from the rocking chair. Eli wrapped her and sleeping Ava in his tender arms and kissed the top of his sister's thin haired head. He at least hoped he wasn't stepping into a full-life contract with the Young Master, then he'd never get to see his little sister grow up.

Eli's father slapped a hand on his son's shoulder, jostling it with a smile on his proud face. "I know being ordered around by a child isn't' what you expected for your future, but you'll be doing us all really good, son."

"I know, father," Eli nodded, "I'll arrange to have my payments sent here when I receive them."

"Alright," he kissed Eli's hair and smiled, "We'll see you when we see you, son. Your mother and I love you."