Sin and Retribution

It was cold, and the little strength I had soon evaporated into the soaked earth. The thin, abused clothing I had on was chilling me to the bone, icy with frost, but at the very least it soothed my ravaged skin.

Afternoon was setting in and long shadows tossed themselves on the ground in shapes like fallen phantasms.

With a groan, I sat up, faint from lack of food. Or water, for that matter, for nearly two days. I vaguely recalled that humans could last only two days lacking water, but I wasn't sure if that applied to me or not.

I reached a trembling hand out to an untouched patch of snow and hastily brought it to my mouth, feeling the ice melt into little more than a mouthful.

Wracked with exhaustion, and now that my body sensed no danger of thirst, I felt my eyelids close slowly and found myself asleep on the frozen ground.

In my dream, everything was hazy again, and I was disoriented and confused. "Hello?" I called out. There was nothing, only a chilly mist. At last, I felt the presence of the mighty Valar near me, and I felt small and pitiful.

"Gianna," said the voice of Lorien, low and melodious. "You must know before you continue that the only way to stop the oath you are under from progressing is to find and use the weapon you know of." His tone was weary. "The only way to stop any of this is to find it."

"I don't know what to look for," I cried out desperately. "Help me."

So useless.

"You are the only one who can find it," the voice said. "Use the moonstone."

"How much time do I have?" I asked suddenly, knowing somehow that time was running out.

"You were fortunately not impacted by that spell the dark sorcery inflicted upon you," I was assured, "Though from your previous engagement in your own time you have lost the light of one star."

I looked down and noticed that indeed, one star was missing, instead leaving a small mark, like a freckle, in its place.

I no longer felt as safe as I had with all three. Slowly but surely, my time was running out.

"You have time still," he continued, "But you must find it before they become too rampant."

"Why did they seek to take my power from me?" I asked uncertainly.

"They would have taken it, twisted it and convoluted it beyond recognition, left you weak and unprotected, and probably would have kept you there, alone. Without being bestowed this essential blessing of protection and assurance, it is likely your purpose would never be achieved. Without the enchantment on the stone, it is simply another pretty gem. That is what would have been lost."

I meant to answer but before I could do so, the dream faded into nothingness and I was vaguely aware of discordant voices surrounding me.

"Gianna..."

I felt gentle hands under my waist, lifting me a few inches off the ground and I had no energy to react or do anything at all. However, suddenly I heard a low cry and fell back to the snowy earth.

Some exclamation in Elvish followed. "My prince, what is the matter?"

In somewhat of a labored voice, Legolas responded quietly "I'm not sure."

Maldor, that was Maldor who was speaking. So it must have been Legolas who picked me up, as usual, although for some reason, he couldn't fully lift me.

I opened up my eyes barely, making out the shape of snowdrifts and mountains. I barely heard Maldor's footsteps running up to me. "Lady Gianna," he said aghast.