Ruins

The rest of the walk was in a death-like silence. The only thing Legolas said was, "Keep your bow ready."

I nodded mutely, striding through the ruins and the oppressive gloom.

I stopped, and he quickly turned to look at me.

"Legolas, why are we still here?" I sighed. "I relayed what I needed to tell you."

"Why waste a good trip?" he said with a dry smile.

"Yes, what a good trip," I said sarcastically. "Look at all the happiness surrounding us."

"Do not jest of such things," Legolas said. "You know that there is someone we cannot trust if we return. We must first look for the scroll and tell no one."

"What of Maldor and Faewyn?" I asked.

"They already know what we are looking for but do not mention it anew," he warned. "I have seen the corruption of the smallest of influences from Sauron and I will not underestimate him again."

Again?

"There is nothing here," I said tentatively, emerging into a sandy clearing strewn with more incessant piles of hideous black rock.

"Not above ground," Legolas said.

As if on cue, we stopped at the edge of a jagged cliff which looked into a steep, echoing hole that reeked of filth.

"Here," Legolas said grimly.

"It looks positively entrancing," I said depressingly.

Legolas looked over. "Never dull, though," he said. A wry smile brushed across his features for a moment before resigning back to his focused, if unemotional, general expression.

He then turned to me, with sudden realisation. "Gianna, how do you know you still have the blessing of both Lorien and Estë?"

He hesitated slightly, as if asking for permission.

I wondered if that was even necessary anymore.

"Well," I said breezily. "You can stab me, or we can wait to see if someone else stabs me."

His stare darkened. "I would not lay a finger on you," he said. "Clearly you have heard my confession multiple times. Would you like me to continue affirming it as such?"

Of course, by now both of us knew he wasn't talking about me theoretically getting stabbed.

"You mustn't--Legolas, don't you think I know?" I said finally. "You...you knew how I felt that night. It was as much fault of mine as yours."

"Not so," Legolas countered, determinedly avoiding my gaze. "I apologise for the poor manners offered by a Prince to a Lady."

"Which 'poor manners'?" I asked exasperatedly. "And I am not a lady."

"To me you are," he said courteously, inclining his head in my general direction. He turned to look at me, finally, so many words in his steely glance alone that I blinked.

"I knew it would affect you," he said, in what only could be described as a reluctant whisper. "I did not know how much. But I saw, in your expression... something I did not see all the other occasions I met with you.  Gianna, I took advantage of you, I should have controlled myself. It is absolutely appalling that my conduct was so rogue."

Incredulous, I turned to him. "Legolas--"

"Do you ever wonder, wonder why I stop myself from even looking at you?" he asked bitterly.