UN

dedicated to transfigure because she's a lovely person who writes beautiful stories and poems. ily.

YEAR: 2015

"GO FUCK YOURSELF, Kadence," Maverick says, giving her the bird. Kadence, finding this highly amusing, gives him a little smile as she takes a drag of her cigarette. They are at their usual spot at the bleachers - Maverick waiting for Braxton and Kadence waiting for Xienna.

Kadence has a knack for pushing every one of Maverick's buttons. It's why they get along so well, really. Kadence likes annoying people and Maverick gets easily annoyed. Perfect.

"You think this is funny, don't you, you narcissistic little Thai bitch?" Maverick asks, though Kadence doesn't miss the way his lips twitch, suppressing a smile.

"This is highly amusing," Kadence replies calmly, before offering him her cigarette. "Want a puff?"

He smirks and takes the cigarettes from her candle-like fingers. "Needed that."

"Aww," coos Kadence, "do I push your buttons that bad?"

Maverick rolls his eyes and wonders how Kadence and him ever became friends. "No, I'm used to it. It's just that-" he cuts himself off and runs a hand through his hair, tousling the golden locks. "Blaire and I had a fight."

This is why he went to Kadence in the first place. She doesn't respond like Xienna or Orianna or Greyson. Well, he wouldn't actually ask Greyson for help - but he knew that she would report everything she heard to Blaire.

Kadence doesn't tap his hand like Xienna or Orianna would. She raises an eyebrow, unimpressed. "Again?" she asks. "What is it, now?"

Maverick grins. "You'd never believe it."

"Try me."

"Blaire thinks I'm cheating on her. With you."

Kadence begins to cough, choking on her laughter. Her cheeks flush slightly, and she blames it on her Asian genes. Maverick has never been Kadence's type. Then again, she isn't sure she has a type, so she can't be a hundred percent sure. But she does know that the one person she wouldn't want to hurt is not Maverick - but his best friend. Braxton Ryce. The boy who Kadence avoids at all cost.

Because Braxton makes her feel something - and she's the ice queen. She's supposed to be made of steel and thorns and the tears of her victims. She's not supposed to feel anything, and that includes her budding romance with the lean brunette. She avoids the things she loves because she loves them with all of herself, and she suffocates them. And then they run or die or run and then die. She doesn't want that to happen to Braxton, and she doesn't want to have to lose him.

So she prefers to avoid him.

Kadence looks at the blond and quirks a brow. "You're not my type," she states blatantly. She isn't very interested in Maverick and Blaire's drama. They always fight, break up (or go on a break, Ross and Rachel style), fuck and then get back together. That's Blaire and Maverick's relationship. It was - and still is - messy, messy business. And Kadence does not want to get in the middle of their petty drama.

Maverick scoffs. "You're not mine either. Blaire's my type. You're not Blaire."

"And thank God for that," she laughs lightly, nibbling on the straw of her coke.