Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

Winter was rapidly coming to an end. Already there were signs of new life springing up in remote places. A few green blades of grass stuck out from underneath the snow. Somewhere, far off, a bird was singing a lonely song...

A couple of days ago, while hunting in the forest for food, the wolf finally picked up the scent of the elf. He was now more than determined to find him. He still could not understand how he felt so compelled to find the creature, but all he knew was that he needed to find him, and something told him that he did not have a lot of time left.

Nose in the air, the wolf followed the scent. He was glad that the winter was almost at an end, it would make things so much more easier, especially where hunting was concerned, already there were more food for him to hunt, the water was clearer and warmer. The chill of the nights became less hurtful to his old wounds.

After about two hours, the wolf came to a halt, the scent of the elf suddenly became a lot stronger, but the wolf realized that he was still a long way from reaching his goal. It's going to be hard road ahead, and it's not going to be easy facing the elf.

As he was walking through the forest at a lazy pace, the wolf suddenly picked up another scent, a scent that he somehow recognized.

The  wolf moved forward, following the scent and trying to make as little sound as he could. His ice blue eyes scouring for potential threats.  As he walked further along the path he came across the ruins of an old abandoned castle. He stopped dead at what used to be the gate entrance. He gave a few more sniffs, deciding that it was safe, and proceeded to pass into a  large inner courtyard.

As the wolf did a little sniffing around, the scent that he detected earlier became more familiar, and as he came into the inner most courtyard, he saw a hooded figure busy tending to a small fire in the center of the courtyard, a small rabbit was slowly roasting over the hot fire. The scent of it filled the nostrils of the wolf.

As he walked towards the hooded figure, he became aware of another presence, another scent, unfamiliar. He came to a sudden halt as something came towards him out of the shadows. all he saw was a flash of white and he was knocked down to the ground, and as he laid there, trying to get to his feet, he heard a yell from the hooded figure.

 As he finally came to his senses, he sprang up, the hair on his back and neck raised, teeth bared at this other, unfamiliar creature. He turned around violently, snapping with his powerful jaws, growling as he went. Blind with rage he charged forward, and then another shout from the hooded figure, he stopped dead in his tracks.

 As he calmed down, he could now clearly see the other mysterious creature, and as he stood with his head lowered, teeth still bared, he finally saw the creature for what it was,  a snow white wolf, a female, by the looks of it, two black stripes ran down from her eyes, meeting in a point on her chest, her paws were covered in charcoal black socks, and at the tip of her tail also ended in black. Her eyes were the same blue as his, only there was something eerie about her. She showed no signs of anger, or  malice, she just stood there, looking at him. Staring into his eyes...

He became aware of the hooded figure, coming slowly towards him, he reluctantly turned his back on the female,  and as he faced the hooded figure, he recognized him as the hooded figure that helped him after the elf shot him.

He relaxed a little bit, still aware of the female wolf staring at him, he took a few steps toward the human, allowing him to rub his head, and allowing him to reassure him that all is well, and that he has no need to worry about the female, and that she will not hurt him.

The human, went back to the fire, and as he sat down on a makeshift log, he called the wolves over to him, reluctantly the wolf went over to the fire. The female followed suit, trotting at a steady pace, passing the wolf, she sat down at the feet of  the human.

The wolf looked doubtfully at the picture, but walked slowly towards the fire, he has never seen a wolf so comfortable at the feet of a human before.

He approached the fire, and made himself at home on the opposite side of where the human, and the female wolf was sitting, the human looked at the wolf, then at the female wolf, and said something to her, and gave a small chuckle.                            

He kept staring at the female wolf, something about her felt different. She seemed more curious than threatening, she kept her eyes on him for a while before resting her head on the human's lap and closing her eyes.

As night began to fall, the hooded human took out a flute, and started playing a ghostly tune that seem to linger in the wolf's ears. It was soothing, mysterious, and beautiful. And it took him to places he has long forgotten.

Listening to the haunting tune, the wolf felt a nudge against his side, he opened his eyes and saw the female looking intently at him, he gave her a quick glance before resting his head back on his front paws.

Sensing no reserve or danger from the wolf, the female proceeded in laying down next to him, she yawned lazily, and with that she closed her eyes and drifted off...