Chapter Sixty-three:

They arrived at a construction site, gathering in a vast, open area.

"Where are we?" Inquired Molly.

"Future site of the new public library, opening up May two-thousand three." Xander replied. "If I ever get back to work, that is."

"You call this a safe location?" Rona questioned, sceptical.

"It's the middle of nothing." Vi joined in.

"This'll do." Willow assured them. "Okay, everyone. Spread out, take positions."

Everyone, save for Andrew, did as they were told.

"Um, what's my position?" Andrew asked tentatively, standing alone in the middle of the expansive space.

"And don't make a sound." Willow added, ignoring Andrew entirely.

"That's the plan?" Rona exclaimed, incredulous. "'Spread out'? That thing is gonna kill Buffy, and then it's gonna come after us. For all we know, it's killing her right now."

"Or, it could just skip that part and come straight here." Kennedy remarked.

The others traced the subject of her gaze and every single pair of eyes went wide.

The Turok-Han growled as he entered the makeshift arena, advancing upon the gathering of Potentials, Dawn, Xander, and Willow.

Kennedy loaded her crossbow.

Hel shifted into a defensive stance and stood her ground, her lips moving imperceptibly as she murmured incantations  under her breath.

"Oh no no no no..." Chloe muttered, struck with terror.

Suddenly, the entire construction site was bathed in the fluorescent illumination of flood lights.

Everyone turned around, searching for the cause, and discovered Buffy standing on a nearby ledge. Her arms were folded across her chest as she overlooked the area.

Dawn's eyes lit up with relief. "Buffy?"

"What's she doing?" Molly asked contemplatively.

Kennedy aimed her crossbow at the Turok-Han.

Willow waved her off. "Just watch. It's showtime." She lead the group aside and up the scaffolding, to a position better suited for spectating.

Andrew hung on the outside of the bars, eagerly awaiting the events that were about to unfold.

Hel propped her elbows atop the metal rail, leaning forward.

"Looks good, doesn't it?" Buffy spoke confidently, addressing the Turok-Han. "They're trapped in here. Terrified. Meat for the beast, and there's nothing they can do but wait." She dove forward, somersaulting down into the opening, and stood tall. "That's all they've been doing for days." She approached her opponent. "Waiting to be picked off. Having nightmares about monsters that can't be killed. But I don't believe in that. I always find a way. I'm the thing that monsters have nightmares about. And right now, you and me are gonna show 'em why. It's time. Welcome to Thunderdome."

"Two men enter. One man leaves." Andrew added to himself as an aside.

The Turok-Han came at Buffy, gaining ground rapidly. She was able to hold her own for the first few blows exchanged, but was soon being beaten back. The onlookers grimaced as he dealt one harsh strike after another to Buffy. But she wouldn't be deterred, as she returned his attacks with offensive kicks and punches of her own between his hits.