Chapter Twenty-five:

The oak door clicking shut behind her, Hel glanced around for company. Everyone else was most likely fast asleep.

She made a beeline for the kitchen, opened the fridge door, and skimmed its contents for something appealing. Her stomach growled loudly at the sight of food, indicating her ravenous hunger. She grabbed a banana and the carton of one percent milk.

Retrieving a box of Cheerios from one of the cupboards above the countertop, she set about fixing herself a heaping bowl of cereal with sliced banana.

Hel wandered into the living room. She set her bowl down on the coffee table and sat on the floor in front of it, flipping open the cover of a nearby book to her left while she ate. "The History of Magic..." She murmured between spoonfuls of cereal, reading the title page.

Her head snapped up when the front door swung open.

Buffy crossed the threshold, visibly exhausted by another night on patrol. Her black slacks were smeared with a dusting of grime. Her straw-blond hair was pulled back in a low bun, however a rebellious strand had slipped out and fell across her brow. She shrugged out of her denim jacket to hang it up on the stationary coat tree.

Relaxing, Hel resumed eating.

"You're still up?" Buffy entered the living room.

"Astute observation." Hel replied, deadpan, without turning her head.

Buffy folded her arms across her chest. "Are you always so grouchy?"

Finished her cereal, Hel picked up the empty bowl as she stood and faced Buffy. "I don't get along well with others."

The narrow, brown arches of Buffy's eyebrows shot up. "You and Spike seem to get along well enough."

"We understand each other." Hel went to walk around her, but Buffy blocked her way.

"He's a killer."

"As are you."

"I am not a killer. I'm the slayer."

"One who fights with monsters should look to it that they do not become a monster." Hel said bluntly, her stare unwavering. "When you gaze into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

Buffy frowned, her expression that of confusion and apprehension. "What are you trying to say?"

"I spoke plainly, I did not try." Hel gave her an unnerving smile. "You'd best get a move on, Buffy. You're running out of time."

"For what?"

"Everything. Human beings have incredibly short lifespans. Frankly, you should all be in a permanent state of panic." Hel stated. "Tick tock, tick tock..." She whispered, her unreadable smile firmly in place.

Buffy's eyes searched hers warily, and she stood aside to let Hel by. "Get out." She ordered firmly.

"It would be my pleasure." Hel strode past her, leaving her empty bowl on the island counter as she passed through the kitchen and exited from the back door.

Raindrops pelted her from above as a downpour whipped through the air and smacked the pavement in buckets. In a few moments, her clothes were plastered to her skin. Tendrils of black hair clung to her face and neck.