The Unknown

Nightime. When monsters and vampires come out and seek their prey. When the evilest of evil come out and play. When the dead seem to be watching from their graves.

  When the stars shine bright, they cast a luminous light. Only shreds of bright manage to squeeze into the dense, vast forest between the gaps in the mossy trees. The light shows many things, but not everything. The darkness seems to overcome the brightness. Night is its territory, no match for the dark.

  The forest swells with darkness, with its thick trees and vines. There are rocks you may stumble on, and ledges you may fall from. The boulders are covered with fungi and moss, almost invisible against the long green grass.

  The sound of chirping crickets, mixed with croaking frogs and hooting owls reach your ears. It’s a pleasurable sound, unlike the intoxicating smell of nature around you. Poisonous flowers, moldy logs, bat droppings, and the swamp creates a fragrance unlike any other. The perfume of decaying nature.

   Darkness lurks everywhere, the shadows seem to be waiting to jump out from between the large trees. They're playing, toying with your mind. Fear creeps into your brain, but you shake it back out. The shadows can't hurt you, you keep repeating in your mind, unlike the climbing poison ivy and the large, unmerciful ditches.

  In a clearing, the cool crisp air caresses your sensitive skin. The light breeze plays with your shiny, jet hair. Your hair, long and sleek, matches the dark night sky. The stars are not the only source of light, for in the night, a broken silver orb shines bright on you. The moon seems kinder when you have no allies in the dark. The silver, thin crescent seems to float in space. How, you wonder, does it cope with the darkness which surrounds it all the time?

  A strong breeze makes you shiver, the smooth grass tickles your bare feet.

  Space is a mystery, one which man-kind has no hope to solve. But they will enjoy exploring the vast, open space full of nothingness. Forever a strange, unexplained riddle.

 The sky is full of the Unknown. Much like the creature behind you now.