Chapter Tweleve // Hotel Rooms and Histories

COMMENT

VOTE

ENJOY

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Alba?” Roma asked, climbing back out of the cab. She looked down at me and I noticed for the first time that I’d fallen over on the curb. I stood up, attempting to brush myself off while I snuck glances at the cab driver.

It couldn’t be the same guy...

The driver turned towards us, probably to see what was taking so long, and I got to see his whole face. Curly, brown hair with a blue baseball cap squished on top. He beard was neither thick, nor long. It was more like a light stubble from not shaving for a day or two. He also seemed to be around twenty years old. There was something distinctly different between him and the vision man. His eyes were a different colour and his face shape was different.

From a side profile he may have looked similar but he really didn’t look like the other man at all.

Roma looked at the driver, whom I was openly staring at now. She looked back to me and then took hold of my arm. “Come on, Alba.” She pulled lightly and I followed her into the back.

No one said a word, besides me directing the driver to take us to Lafayette Street. Xavier shot me a weird look but I pretended I didn’t notice. Explanations would come later.

The driver looked back into the rear view mirror at me, once we were on Lafayette. “Do you have a house number or something, kid?” He asked.

I looked around. Nothing seemed familiar but had I really expected it to be?

“Is there a hotel on this street?” I asked. He nodded. “You can take us there, then.” I instructed. Xavier and Roma gave me weird looks again but I just busied myself getting money to pay the driver with.

When the car came to a stop, I dropped money in the front seat and hurried out. Roma and Xavier were quick behind me. Xavier caught my arm and spun me around.

“What’s up with you?” He asked. “First you fall over and zone out or whatever and then you decide to come check out a random street?”

“It’s Lafayette Street.” I replied. “And I think maybe Fate is here.”

We walked into the hotel and up to the clerk. It wasn’t all that fancy but it was still nearly $200 a night. I told the clerk I wanted the room for two nights and he gave me a funny look.

“Do you have parents or guardians with you?” He asked. His voice was slightly nasally and I could already tell he was a jerk.

I nodded. “They’re on the way. They’ll join us later tonight.”

“Well, I can’t let anyone under than eighteen check in, so you’ll have to wait for your parents.” He smirked at me and I bit back a nasty retort.

Before I could take out my own fake ID, Xavier stepped up with his license. “I’m eighteen and, until you are otherwise notified, I am the guardian of these girls.”

The guy stared at his license for another moment before handing it back and typing something into the computer. “Your room number is 217, and it’s on the third floor. Enjoy your stay.”

Xavier took the room keys from him, handing me one and keeping two for Roma and himself.

The room wasn’t bad. There were two comfortable-looking beds and an average television. There was a small table and two chairs, a microwave and a mini-fridge. The bathroom was partially hidden behind a wall with a floor-length mirror. It was small but the shower was fairly large and had an interchangeable shower head.