Chapter One // Flashbacks

Where is David. Where is David. Where is David?

The question ran through my head like a hamster on a wheel. Round and round. I ran down the hallway, the sirens and screams echoing off the walls like they were chasing me. I pushed open the black door at the end of the hallway.

She was here. Fate was here.

I had to find David. She wouldn’t take him yet. She just couldn’t.

But I couldn’t stop my feet from moving, my hands from pushing the second black door open. She was so close, so close. I could almost feel her. All her hate and fear and doubt. It was drawing me closer.

I had to find David. I needed him.

But I’d waited for this for years and now I had no time. I had to be free from her. I had to do it now.

I pushed the door open, peering around. And there she was.

She had long, dark brown hair and flashing black eyes. She was about my height and a little more plump than I. She had fuller lips, better curves. Her best weapons.

We didn’t really look alike. I was so much more like my father.

Just as I opened my mouth to speak, she turned. She smiled at me wickedly, her beautiful lips curving up at the corners. She raised her hand, as if to wave to me. Then glass shattered, the windows blew in, covering the room in shards of sharp glass. She smiled again and then everything went black.

There was sharp pain in my stomach, crippling my instantly. A pressure, like Goliath was pressing his fist firmly into the pit of my stomach. I couldn’t have moved even if I’d known where I was.

Where was David?

I needed him but he wasn’t here. He was always here when I needed him.

Warm engulfed me and someone started to call my name. I must have been having a seizure since I was shaking so badly. Maybe I was hallucinating that someone was saying my name.

“David?” I whispered but my voice didn’t have any sound.

He must have heard me, though. “Open your eyes, Alba.” David commanded.

I did as I was told and found that I was laying in my room with David on top of me, one hand pressed into my stomach.

“Can’t breathe.” I coughed out, trying to shove his hand off. He removed it quickly, grinning apologetically.

I smiled back but it was a bit forced.

“Bad dream?” David asked.

I shrugged. “Can’t remember.”

He probably gave me a suspicious look but I didn’t look to see. I was too focused on trying to remember the dream. I’d been...With David somewhere? Or maybe I’d been looking for him...

Dunno.

“What day is it?” I asked, yawning.

David smiled knowingly while he answered. “Tuesday. You know, it comes after Monday and before Wednesday.”

I shoved his shoulder lightly, not even moving him an inch. I sat up, looking around. I couldn’t even see the floor. My king-size bed was covered with teal sheets and a black comforter. My plain-jane brown dresser sat against the opposite wall and my bookshelf sat beside that. There weren’t any mirrors. I really needed to clean.

David left me to let me get dressed and I quickly pulled on jeans and t-shirt, not even looking to see which one it was. I pulled on my gray converse and practically ran from my room when I smelled the sweat aroma coming from the kitchen.