Episode 12

Chapter 33

Mr. Carrington and three immigration officers arrived at eight o’ clock in the morning at the All Peoples Non-Denominational Church. Pastor Gillespie met them and they hit it off immediately. The group went over a few preliminaries before starting their two-day tour of the Ethiopian community. Their first stop was the Queen of Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant. They found everyone and everything in place and in accordance with city and state laws. Without hesitation, the workers produced the proper documents for legal status in the United States. Sentayhu served the men a late breakfast before they returned to the church.

Sister Mona, Charmaine, and a few of the deacons were directing the Ethiopians who were already at the church waiting to show their paperwork to Mr. Carrington and the other INS officers. Pastor Gillespie introduced them to his staff. “And this young lady,” he added, “is Charmaine Ayana, my future wife.”

Mr. Carrington was amazed at how willingly the Ethiopians cooperated. Whatever frustration they felt at the disruption of their daily routine was dissipated by laughter. Their light-hearted spirit confirmed for Mr. Carrington that Mrs. Martin was against these people for no reason. The INS officers returned the following day to finish their job. Pastor Gillespie, Sister Mona, and Charmaine took them on a tour of the Ethiopian community on Friday afternoon.

“All of their permits and papers appear to be in order,” Mr. Carrington said to Pastor Gillespie after they settled down in his office at the end of the tour.

“They do, Mr. Carrington,” Pastor Gillespie agreed, “and they have been a blessing to us ever since they have been here.”

Mr. Carrington shared with Pastor Gillespie the telephone conversation he had with Zelda Martin on Monday after they spoke.

“You know, Mr. Carrington, you’d believe as Christians, we would just love each other and look out for each other, but sadly that’s not the case. What Mrs. Martin and her husband are doing to these dear people is evil. Only a person filled with hatred and selfishness could concoct such a scheme.”

Mr. Carrington agreed. He shared with Pastor Gillespie the e-book he received from Mrs. Martin.

“They sent me a copy without the negative information at the back of the book,” Pastor Gillespie said. “I gave them permission to send it out to the church members. Apparently they added the negative part then sent it out. We had a heated discussion about it after prayer meeting on Wednesday night. Some walked out angrily. They thought I had been deceiving them; others voiced their opinion without holding back. I managed to get in enough words to explain what took place. As you can imagine this is a stressful time for us.”

“Why don’t you just ask the Martins to leave? You have some key evidence that they are in the wrong,” Mr. Carrington stated.

“I do,” Pastor Gillespie said. “But I want them to hang around for the wedding. Brother Martin especially knows that once God gives me the okay on something, and once my mind is set to doing something, I let nothing stand in my way.” Then he added with a chuckle, “I am waiting them out just as they are waiting me out. Not only do they want to get rid of the Ethiopians, but they also want me to resign as pastor.”

“Why would they want you to resign?”

“So Brother Martin can take my place as the pastor. You see, they are treading carefully because Brother Martin knows I won’t go down without a fight. ‘I am for peace,’ Mr. Carrington, but, as David said, ‘they are for war.’”

Both men laughed, then Mr. Carrington added, “You let me know what your plans are and we will work with you. Mr. and Mrs. Martin are messing with the work of the federal government; that can land them in jail for many years.”