42: OUTLAW SETS A FIRE AND THE POLICE GET INVOLVED

[ Back to Risk ]

London hadn't changed much since I last visited, but then again, it was a frequent pit-stop for most LASAR agents, so it was familiar territory in general. The biggest difference between now and then was that now, we had nothing and no one to fall back on. There would be no help waiting in the wings, no "extra eyes" Boss sent in when he knew things were going south. Though all of us were used to being on our own, this was a different type of independence. And with the Kinetic bearing down on all sides, it definitely wasn't the comfortable kind.

"We need to establish a safe house," Slick said as we moved through the streets, staying in step with her partner.

"We also need weapons," Outlaw volunteered, a devious look in her eyes when she looked back at Rebel and I. She turned to her partner; "Guess which one they're going to want to do first."

Slick rolled her eyes. "I don't have to guess." She turned to give Rebel and I a look. "The safe house is of equal importance to creating an armory," she said.

"Neither of us have said anything yet," Rebel pointed out with raised brows.

"You didn't have to," Slick said passively, turning away to continue examining the streets. "You may not be loco en la cabeza like Law, but you're definitely still gun-crazy."

"I take offense at that," Outlaw said with an overdramatic pout.

"Offense was intended," Slick said drily.

"Though typically I'd recommend splitting up and covering more ground," I mused, surveying the streets as we walked, "I'm not so into that idea right now." I paused and side-eyed Rebel. "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

Rebel smiled and nodded. "It's not a bad idea."

"Anybody wanna share with the rest of the class?" Outlaw asked.

I grinned widely at that, sliding my hands into my back pockets and shrugging nonchalantly. I exchanged a knowing look with Rebel. "Why establish a safe house when one already exists?"

Slick and Outlaw exchanged a look, understanding dawning on both of their faces. "Howler," they said at the same time.

Rebel and I both nodded. "Right," Rebel said. "Her house is as safe as it gets in this city."

"I actually like that plan," Slick said with a look of surprise.

"Great, brilliant, whatever," Outlaw said, having zoned in on a duo across the street, her eyes narrowing as she watched them. "We've got plans for a safe house, yippee!" She began to slow down, and she lowered her voice. "We've got company."

I followed her line of sight to the two men, taking note of how when they did happen to glance our way they weren't looking at us, but rather somewhere behind us. I hummed in agreement. "And they've got friends," I mused, coming to a stop and feigning extreme interest in the nearest store window. Rebel stopped beside me, giving Outlaw and Slick the shortest of nods.

"Diversion?" I heard Outlaw ask hopefully.

"Yup," I agreed, my gaze darting to our nearest pursuers, while Rebel used the store window to focus on those who were across the street. "Make it a good one," I added, one hand slipping from my pocket to test the handle of the gun under my shirt.

Outlaw gave an airy scoff, and I didn't have to see her to know she was smirking. "As if I could do anything but."

"Slick—" I started to say as I watched Rebel reach for his own gun in my periphery.

She waved me off. "I got it, Risky. I'm sticking with my partner." She smiled deviously. "Let's do it."

No sooner had she spoken than were our stalkers upon Rebel and I, their guns at the ready and aimed for our chests. I could see Outlaw and Slick take off right before I turned to retaliate, drawing my own weapon and aiming in turn. Rebel's action mirrored my own, and for a split second the four of us had a stare down.