18: UNDER'S LETTER

Team Alpha,

If you're reading this, then something has gone wrong. But you've probably realized that by now. And I'm sure you've also noticed that something is wrong with your partner (given it doesn't take either of you long to discern that on a normal day). Not to even mention that if you're reading this you're probably frustrated — look at how smart I am, leaving you an 'in case of emergency' note in a gun range!

Look, I don't know which one of you didn't come out of the stasis, but I'm going to go ahead and explain that part first.

A while back, Gray came to me. He wanted to set an emergency plan. You two are Boss's best agents, after all, so after he cleared his plan, I was sent to execute it. Kingston, New York, was chosen because of how inconspicuous it was. It took me a week in total to set up the whole thing; your school system, families, families' friends . . . You two were the easy part. All I had to do was invent the false lives and put them into your heads.

I went to great lengths for you two. By the time I was done, all it would take would be for you two to cross city lines for the alternate personas to be activated. (Don't bother asking me how I worked that out — telepathy is too complicated to explain, much less in a letter.)

But if you're reading this, then one of you came out of your 'stasis,' and the other one didn't. I'm sorry about that. Telepathic connections are difficult to sever without unconsciousness, which is why BOTH of you needed to go into a coma. Obviously I don't know the means with which you were knocked unconscious, but if your partner wasn't, then everything else false is still activated until you, well, knock the other upside the head.

Again, given it's the two of you, that shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing: if you're reading this, it means I was incapable of deactivating the connections myself. I'm sorry about that, but not just because of what it means for you. If I couldn't come help, it means something's happened to me. Probably death. You know how this life works. But, if I'm not dead, I trust you'll figure it out.

The second page of this letter is a detailed list of all the ground you'll have to cover once your partner is in a coma. I trust you'll figure out the 'why' all this was activated on your own, since honestly, I can't even think of a reason for this plan to be used. The next page also has a few extra details depending upon whether you're Risk dealing with Rebel, or Rebel dealing with Risk . . . honestly, I'm not sure which of those scenarios is worse. No offense.

If the worst HAS happened, and you are reading this, I expect you'll do what you do best. I wouldn't expect any less from either of you.

Yours truly, Under