New to This

"You all did a very good job with your first C-ranked mission," said the Hokage. "Perhaps you will get more in the future, seeing how capable you were."

"That sounds troublesome," said Shikamaru. Suzu was beginning to wonder if he thought everything was troublesome.

Team Ten left the room, leaving Suzu alone with the Hokage.

"What brings you to Konoha?" the Hokage asked.

Suzu had thought this and several other things over during her travel.

"My parents died on a mission," Suzu lied. "They always told me that if anything happened to them I should come here. They said I would be safer."

The Hokage frowned, his face sympathetic. "I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm sure we can find a place for you to stay.
"You're from Kusagakure, correct?" the Hokage asked, scribbling things down in pen on a piece of paper.

"Yes," Suzu said, praying he wouldn't contact the village for verification.

"I see you have a shuriken poach. Are a kunoichi then? Do you have your ID?"

"Um, no," Suzu said, quickly trying to think up these things which she hadn't considered. "I don't have my ID because I... we didn't take the Genin Selection Exam. I left right before we were supposed to take it."

"Hmm," the Hokage replied, thinking this over as he wrote. "Well, I'm afraid we've already taken the Genin Selection Exam for this year, and the teams have been assigned. However, I suppose it would be unfair if you had to wait a year, since you haven't gotten a chance to take it. Well then, I suppose we could make a special exception for you. You can take the exam, and if you pass, you'll be added to one of the new teams that we think you will work best with. There can be one team of four. How does that sound?"

Suzu smiled, excited at the thought of getting to be a kunoichi again. Hopefully for more than a couple of hours this time. "That sounds great! Thank you, Hokage-sama!"

°l||l° °l||l° °l||l° °l||l° °l||l° °l||l° °l||l°

"You're late again!" Suzu heard someone shout as she made her way to the meeting place she'd been directed to.

"I got lost," another voice replied.

"How do you get lost in your own village?" a third voice—female this time—asked.

"Well, at least I'm not the last one to arrive," said the second voice.

"Yes! You are!" shouted the first. "Again!"

"Um, excuse me," Suzu said, approaching the group of angry strangers. "Is this Team Seven?"

The strangers were silent for a moment, the three who were about her age looking very confused.

"I told you I wasn't the last to arrive," said Kakashi.

"Who are you?" asked Sasuke.

"This is your new teammate," Kakashi explained.

"What?" said the three kids, Sasuke looking far less concerned with this than Sakura and Naruto.

"Why is she joining our team?" asked Sakura, clearly unhappy with the idea of this new girl joining them. "...I mean, the teams were already assigned."

And I don't want this new girl getting between me and Sasuke-kun, she thought to herself.

"Well, she's new to the village and didn't get a chance to take the test to become a genin back in her old village," explained their sensei. "It wouldn't be fair if we didn't give her a chance."