Chapter One: Home Alone

Home alone

~Amelia

It was an uneventful Sunday afternoon and I was resting on my comfortable black leather couch, enjoying another episode of Pretty Little Liars when, I heard a knock on my door. My head swiveled in the direction of the door and I heaved a heavy sigh.

Why was it that every time I tried to relax, someone decided to disturb my peace? Just one day was all I requested for. One day, were I could kick up my legs, and watch an episode of my favorite series. I didn't believe I was asking for too much.

I wasn’t trying to be a grouch, it's just that everyone gets lazy and needs to rest from time to time. Well, I wanted to rest today; I deserved to rest just as much as everyone else did.

Being tired and stressed after my exams compelled me to just lounge around waiting for my results until we had to go back to school.

As I lay on the couch I continuously played with the hem of my black cardigan, trying not to think about my exams, seeing as we were going to school tomorrow. Getting up from this couch, and answering the door was not an option.

People may judge me for not getting the door, but I was going to boarding school —sure it would be different because I was going into year eleven—more freedom and all, it's still a boarding school. It's not a home away from home. 

I just wanted to enjoy my last day without being bothered.

Whoever this person was would just have to come back later. It was probably those traveling sales people. Don't get me wrong! They are nice people, but my laziness overcame me.

Instead of being the polite girl I used to be, I just turned my head back to the plasma screen hanging on the redbrick wall, just above the mantel and kept watching Pretty Little Liars.

Besides, the episode was pretty awesome so there was no way I was going to miss a second of it. 

The knocking began to ring in my sensitive ears. It was much louder than before and it was making me slightly uneasy. My heart skipped a beat as the person at the door pounded on it louder. I shifted uneasily and I pressed my back against my soft pillow to ease my nerves.

This sales person was relentless, why wouldn't they just go away. It didn't make any sense at all. Sales people were never this persistent; normally they would leave after the first seven knocks. They would normally assume that they were not wanted and in my case, they weren't. 

I straightened my back and yelled, "I'm sorry, but we don't need anything!" Hopefully the chatter coming from the television didn’t drown out my meek voice, I sank back into the couch even though the knocking didn’t stop. To my dismay, the knocking only got louder.

This was seriously getting weird. In normal circumstances, the sales person would have at least responded to me, they would have persuaded me to open the door. Come to think of it, anybody would answer me. Worry started to creep into my mind and alter my thoughts. 

'What if that guy is a serial killer?' my subconscious asked me.

Wait what, A serial killer? I thought frantically as I practically chewed —more like crushed— my lower lip.

‘What if he rapes you and kills you?' The soft, hushed, delicate voice mentioned in my mind. My heartbeat sped up when I heard the words. I know the voice is just in my head, but it doesn't make hearing the words any easier. 

What if the person outside the door is a serial killer? What happens then? I thought as my eyes began to water. I'm not ready to die. I haven’t even kissed Channing Tatum yet. Don’t judge me, it could happen.