Chapter Two

After eating, Leon sat in front of me in the kitchen/dining room area. He sighed heavily and steepled his fingers.

"So what's wrong?" I asked, not wanting to deal with the suspense.

"There's something you need to know," he began slowly, choosing his words carefully.

"What do I need to know?" I asked, looking down at the wooden table.

"Why I'm with you now," Leon said simply without looking at me.

He had fixed his gaze on what I assumed was a particularly nice piece of wall behind me.

"I'm assuming it's not because of my charming sense of humor or bubbly personality," I said sarcastically.

It's a defense mechanism of mine, reverting to sarcasm and wit.

"No, it isn't that," he replied coolly.

"Well, what is it then?" I challenged, "Quit beating around the bush. Out with it."

"It's difficult for me to tell you," he said, stiffly, choosing his words carefully, "I can't tell you straightforwardly. There are orders not to tell you."

"Well, write the damn thing down," I said, groaning in frustration.  

His lips lifted in an almost smile, "It isn't that easy. I can't say anything about it near you or around you. I can't write it down. I can't mention it and I can't even hint at it."

"Well, what are you doing now?" I challenged.

"They never said I couldn't warn you," he gave me an out-and-out smile.

I laughed softly at that, "I would get stuck with the devious angel."

"What can I say, you've rubbed off on me," he grinned for a moment before becoming serious again, "You're in danger, and that's all I can tell you at the moment."

"Of course I'm in danger some freak put me in a box!" I raised my voice.

"No, not that sort of danger..." he struggled to say, "Not mortal."

I raised an eyebrow, "So, are there orders against you saying yes or no if I guess it?"

"I can't say no, but if you guess it, then there's no need for me to keep it from you," Leon's lips lifted into a hopeful smile.

"We both know how bad I am at subtle, but here it goes," I sighed, "So, not mortal... So not human?"

He nodded.

All right, score one for Mira. "Um. Angelic or demonic?" I asked and he just stared.

"I'll take that as a no," I cleared my throat, "Um. What else is there?"

"More than you know," he smiled knowingly.

"Gee, that's certainly helpful."

He shrugged, "It's not supposed to be. Just think your favorite books."

"Well, that narrows it down. If you know anything about me, you know I like to read, Leon," I muttered, leaning back in the chair.

"'Like' is an understatement, you're down right infatuated with words," he replied with a simple smile.

I stuck my tongue out at him as I tried to think. My favorite books... What in the world? I didn't have one or two. I had entire lists and series that were my favorites. Sheesh.

"So, if I just start guessing you'll either stare at me or answer 'yes' right?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Yep," he nodded.

I sighed, "Um. I suppose, the FBI-slash- CIA is involved?"

He just stared. Check off the mental list.

"Um. I'm assuming there are no winged mutant children following me."

He just gave me a blank stare that screamed of  "You really did not just go there".

I sighed and decided just to spew answers, "Vampires?"

"They exist," he murmured, but said nothing else.

For serious? Wait, neither the time nor the place to ask.

"Werewolves?"

Blank stare.

"Ugh," I groaned and dropped my head, my forehead smacking the table.

"Are you okay?" Leon asked, reaching across the table to touch me.

"Yeah. I need-- I don't know what I need," I murmured, but I knew exactly what I needed. Chocolate, lots of it, and maybe some hot chocolate to wash it down.

His lips twitched as he tried to keep from smiling, "Do you need a hug?"

I laughed, rubbing my forehead, "Actually, a hug wouldn't be too bad right now."

"Come here, then," he smiled, but something looked like it was bothering him.

I walked over to him and his arms wrapped around my waist. What could be after me?