“Alison.” Her mother looked worry and tired and for a moment there, she looked much older than usual. “What's the point of obtaining a Japanese citizenship when we can have an American one?” Alison flinched. Having those words said out loud made her parents’ decision to move to Washington more final than anything.

“Enough, Alison,” her father’s voice thundered which invited curious stares from a few Chinese passengers sitting in front of them. They strained their necks and withdrew back when they caught sight of her father’s irritated face. “You will not contest our decision and I expect you to follow your mother’s orders,” he spoke sharply.

Military General. Alison thought. She had a resentful relationship with her father in particular because she couldn’t quite agree with whatever ideology he thinks of. For a start, her father had been brought up in a strict and reserved family who wasn’t accustomed to expressing their own feelings. Her grandparents were the finest examples of why her father turned out to be such a cold and overbearing person.

 “I’m sorry, Father,” she whispered. This seemed to please her father who returned back to reading his magazine. Her mother closed her eyes and fell asleep while her sister was looking at her school package excitedly.

 “Can you imagine that, Alison? They have music classes at high school! That alone is so much better than our previous Japanese school!” Carrie exclaimed. “I hope I make new friends and enjoy a great time there!”

 Yea, I sure hope I do. Alison turned away and a single drop of tear made its way down her pale cheeks.

********

The first thing Alison felt when she saw their new “home” was simply despair. It was better than what she had expected and the interior was relatively clean. But the moment she stepped into the house, she felt the faint musky scent of smog- a probable result of some chemical towers nearby. It was nothing like the faint woody smell she enjoyed inhaling in their old Machaya. However, everyone else was pretty excited- even her Dad- so it was probably just her bad mood getting the better of her.

 “Sorry, are you the Goodall family? ” A blonde man in his late forties poked his head into the house as the door was left open. Alison surveyed him curiously. She looked just like this American- appearance wise- and she felt uncomfortable of being surrounded by so many people of her own race after so long of seeing Asians everywhere.

 “Yes, that’s us.” Her mother emerged from the kitchen and greeted the guest with a pleasant voice.

 “I’m John and we’re the Kingstons from next door and I just wanted to say hello to our new neighbours.” The man smiled warmly and reached out to shake my mother’s hand. Previously, in Japan, everyone would have bowed and exchanged polite yet mundane greetings. Alison felt a little funny doing the Western way.

 “We’re so honoured you paid a visit to our humble house,” her mother chimed in her high-pitched voice. This was something she often said to their guests in Japan but somehow, it seemed overly formal here in America.

 “Don’t mention it, which school are your kids enrolled in?” He peered interestedly at Carrie and Alison.

“Cornwall Institution, a rather reputable school, I’ve heard,” her father added easily. The truth was, Cornwall Institution was the only high school in Seattle which was prepared to accept Alison and her sister. Since they had no formal American education, they would lag behind their other peers and her parents were just thankful they were able to find a school. The reputation no longer mattered to them.

The man looked happy when he heard that. “It’s such a coincidence but my kids are studying there. I’ve a son, Alex, who’s sixteen and a younger daughter, Jane, who’s fourteen,” he answered cheerily.