The Eventual Talk

After grabbing a stash of mango cocktails and a few cookies, Alison finally felt better and he sat on one of the benches in the restroom which seemed to be suited for this particular purpose of calming down the deranged and Alison finally understood why.

“So spit, what’s going on?” Angela focused her attention on her.

“Nothing’s going on,” Alison replied all-too-innocently. This only made her best friend more suspicious.

“What did Alex tell you?” Angela eyed her carefully.

There was no point hiding the truth from Angela’s sharp eyes. “He told me he liked me.” Alison sighed.

“Oh my god! Oh my god! ” Angela screamed and grabbed her hands tightly, only to invite strange stares from some sophomore girls. “That’s so cool!”

“How is it cool?” Alison replied uneasily. Angela’s smile faltered and she frowned. “Aren’t you excited about the news?”

“No!”

“There must be another guy in this triangle. Is that right? ”

Alison stared back at her quietly. Angela always had a knack of sensing this stuff and her answer was no surprise actually. She was just worried about the consequences of spilling the beans to her. “Look, I’ll tell you a secret but don’t tell anyone. Okay?”

“You can trust me.” The sincerity in Angela’s voice was impossible to doubt and Alison relaxed.  She chose her words carefully. “This might be hard to stomach but…I’m actually going out with Edward.”

She quickly checked Angela’s face just to see what her reaction would be. She was the first person in on the secret and well, if she was going to burst out in laughter or frown disapprovingly, Alison might as well just give up on anyone supporting their relationship.

 However, much to her surprise, Angela exclaimed, “Alison! I’ve been waiting far too long for this!” She gasped and looked positively delighted. “I’m so happy for you!” She hugged Alison tightly.

 Alison was a little light-headed as she drew back from Angela’s almost vice-like grip. “What do you mean? Have you been expecting something like this? ” she asked curiously, wondering how on earth Angela could have possible known about Edward and her.

 Angela laughed. “Have you ever seen how Edward looks at you in class?” she asked amusedly.

 Taken aback by her reply, Alison shook her head shyly. She didn’t notice such stuff. Unlike Angela, she wasn’t exactly a perceptive person. For the past one month, her classes with Edward were exciting yet torturous at the same time. She tried to avoid staring at Edward openly but it took all her self-control just to do it. And it certainly didn’t help that every so often, she would catch him giving him a radiant smile. She took delight in the fact that this was an expression which was reserved solely for her. On one of their dates, Edward actually told her that he sometimes asked her questions in class so that he could hear her smooth voice. Alison didn’t know whether to feel proud or embarrassed when she heard that.

“I suppose it’s quite noticeable.” Alison winced. How many people had noticed Edward and hers…special interaction in class?

“Yea, and I’ve always wondered why he was smiling at a certain someone.” Angela giggled and her face turned somber again. “So… what are you going to do about Alex?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t even expect that you know.” Alison personally felt thrown off by all these attention. She never thought herself as attractive. In Japan, none of the guys were interested in her  and she certainly held less than a considerable amount of appeal for them. She always attributed it to her unattractive features. Suddenly, she realized that she didn’t fit into the conventional stereotype of a Japanese beauty. The reason why she couldn’t attract any Japanese guys’ attention was because she was a Caucasian. Now, in America, she was suddenly in hot demand. She wondered if that meant she was pretty in an American boy’s eyes.